What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cheyenne Wyoming

macrafic

Well Known Member
Wanting to fly into KCYS for Frontier Days July 22 - 28. Being told by the FBO there that it is the height of the hail/severe thunderstorm season and there is no available cover for my RV-7A. Their concern is now my concern. I can always drive (12 hours from my home), but obviously would love to fly.

Anybody have hangar availability for those dates that they would be willing to share?

Cheyenne

It depends on how long you are going to stay. They do get some afternoon thunderstorms. I’ve never seen a lot of hail there. If you pay attention to forecast you might need to move. If it were me, I would go and check the weather and go to the FBO hangar if there was a real threat. It’s 40 miles to alternatives. I go to Wyoming nearly every summer and there thunderstorms are usually not very big around and not much hail. Typically hangar there is $75.00 a night at most Wyoming airports. If it’s wasn’t for OSH, I would be in Cheyenne too.

I live in Cheyenne and yes hail is serious there. It's typically very local (small areas hit) but it's very frequent that time of year. I've got caught out once with substantial hail damage to the car.

I don't know what's available at CYS. I imagine like the rest of town, it gets pretty full during Frontier Days. There's a little grass strip east of town (WY05) with several private hangars. I got my first and only ride in an RV there (RV-6a). The local EAA chapter meets there and are a great group. If you reach out to them I'd bet they could hook you up.

Yep, wouldn't catch my plane on the ramp there that time of year! Reach out to the local EAA as suggested. Laramie isn't too far away either if you can find something and drive.

Just an additional note, the same can be said of anywhere from Denver to Wheatland, Wy along the front range. I'm not sure how far East the problem exists. But semi trucks rigged out as mobile paintless dent repair shops run up and down I-25 all summer chasing storms.

Back