What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Checking Balance of Retreads Before Mounting

HFS

Well Known Member
I just got a set of first run (mine) Goodyear Flight Specials back from Wilkerson for a recap. I've only had one other set of caps (Desser), and I didn't think about this then.

Here's the question: Has anyone checked the tire balance only after capping to see if the Red "dot" needs to be moved? I did, and the answer in my case is yes.

As you can see from the pic, on this tire the red dot is now at the bottom instead of at the top (light side). The other tire did not have the red dot up either, but less offset for the lightest point. Also, the tire that was 180* out of "phase", was also 4 oz. (~5%) heavier - don't know what that means. I balanced all of the rotating mass (shaft, nuts & hubs) beforehand to remove any "masking" of the real issue.

YYMV - And probably will, but I'll mount tires to wheels according to my "new" marks.

HFS

Attachments

• Balance of Retread - Tire Only.jpg
    Balance of Retread - Tire Only.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 171
I use Dresser retreads. I balance them with stick on weights because I'm anal. I don't think it makes any difference.

Tire balancing...

I just got a set of first run (mine) Goodyear Flight Specials back from Wilkerson for a recap. I've only had one other set of caps (Desser), and I didn't think about this then. Here's the question: Has anyone checked the balance only after capping to see if the Red "dot" needs to be moved? I did, and the answer in my case is yes.

I use Wilkerson as it is a relatively small family-run business and enjoy feeling like I am being "taken care of" when I deal with them.

That said, I balance all "new" tires when I get them and get them as close as I can to being spot-on. Sometimes I have to do it several times before I am satisfied with the results, meaning I put weights on and take them off and start over. Speaking of anal! It's not that I don't trust where the Red Dot is but just like a smooth-rolling tire. I use the balancer from Harbor Freight and get a couple of bags of their larger stick-on weights. Once I have found where the weights are going to go, I put them on with a better stickum than the weights come with. I think it does make a difference in the performance and maybe longevity of the tire. I have thought of rebalancing them at my condition/100 hour inspection but, by the time I'm done with the inspection, just want to go flying and it doesn't get done. :)

Both of my tires from Wilkerson needed balancing. I use the HF motorcycle tire balancer.

They are great to deal with and rubber compound they use has been great. I live in WI and any time I call them they say there may be a slight delay in getting 5.00x5...then it shows up at my door in 2 days. Fantastic family!

Missing the Point

I think, so far, most of you are missing the point of my question. I am asking, if you have retreads (mine are Wilkerson), have any of you checked the balance of the tires only, no wheels, just to see if the red "dot" changes location with the addition of the capping material? On mine, both did -

And yes, I did make the balancer - a very low cost item using readily available materials with just a "smidge" of lathe work.

HFS

Been using mostly Wilkerson retreads for the past 20-years on my RV. Have never balance any tire on my RV-6 and they have felt fine.

Checking the Balance of Retreads Before Mounting - "The Rest of The Story"

Back in July I posted a question about checking the balance (red dot location) on new/retread tires before mounting. In my case I had Wilkerson retreads on Goodyear carcasses, and found the red "dots" did not match up with the light spots when balanced on my purpose built DIY balancer.

So ... when I mounted the tires to the rims, I used my now marked white "dots" as the location for the tube valve stems. I was very surprised to find, in balancing, that one tire was balanced to the point that no weight was necessary; and, the other tire only took the smallest weight (1/4 oz) I had. I have never, in 34 years of flying RV's, had such a low level of weights needed for balance.

Some of that probably had to do with "re-clocking" the red "dot", but some of it was undoubtedly due to the QC at Wilkerson, because the first run balance of the original Goodyear's needed much higher weights.

YMMV - But I'm going to keep checking the "naked" tire balance before mounting from now on ...

HFS
Harmon Rocket II
S/N 002

Back