What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chapter 26 errors

Tewbert

There’s already been some posts about errors in this chapter and my latest one is figure 3, pg 26-5. It shows F-1015A rib being attached to the rear bulkhead but nowhere do I see how to attach it to the forward aft bulkhead. What am I missing?

Attachments

• IMG_0131.jpeg
    IMG_0131.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 95
I don’t have my plans with me but I believe those remain unriveted for a while until riveting the side skins to the F-1004D center section bulkheads.

There are some gotchas regarding the dimpling of those pieces also. Make sure to have a firm understanding of what is supposed to happen with all holes of those ribs before riveting.

Yup, the lip sits inside the F-1004D bulkhead until you rivet the side skin on in Section 29. My section 26 plans were the most recent copy which resolve a lot of the ambiguous dimpling instructions from earlier - on page 26-5 in my set the plans say to dimple all the #40 holes in the web of the F-1015A ribs. These holes would be difficult to dimple after the ribs have been attached to the rear bulkhead, and my side skins were final sized already so I didn't need to drill those holes. Note that you don't dimple the holes on the flange of the F-1015A rib that sits inside the F-1004D bulkhead.

I did find a hole that I had to match drill farther back, I believe in the F-1018 rib. So I had to dimple that with the cleaveland pop rivet dimple die set, but it wasn't too bad.

Alex

Thanks! I looked ahead to the skin section to get an idea of what to dimple. I missed the part about the flange that sits behind the bulkhead. May order new part of flatten those dimples out.

Back