What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cargo tie-down

Mikeyb

Well Known Member
More than a few of us RV8 builders realized after the fact that there really isn’t a good way to tie down stuff in the aft baggage compartment of a -8. The tie downs shown in the plans up at the top were puzzling.

Steve Cogswell from Corona came up with this approach. 1x1x 1/16” angle.

Attachments

• IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 209
AN-42 A eyebolts for tiesdowns

I like that solution a lot!!!!Especially as a solution once installed….I decided to try AN-42A eyebolts in the corners, with some sort of small doubler or small angle and an anchor nut underneath. Hole in eyebolts small but big enough, and is removable when not needed. Planning to put 1 in each corner. Somewhere you can also find pretty eyebolts made of stainless if you don’t mind the galvanic corrosion on the margin.

Note: Somewhere on this forum there’s a post which indicated those eyebolt tie downs in the upper front corners (where there is a horizontal triangular support) are for the wing tie downs when not in use! Mildly interesting/neat idea but confusing.

Aft Baggage tie down

I have used these tiedown rings in both of my RVs, RV 9a and now the RV8 with no problems. I like them, they are very sturdy and easily detachable.

Regards,

Attachments

• IMG_3423.jpg
    IMG_3423.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3418.jpg
    IMG_3418.jpg
    765.1 KB · Views: 110
Tie downs

Neat idea.
I replaced four of my floor nutplates with 10-32 and bought four nice stainless tie down rings. I slipped rubber gaskets on each.

Stainless straps and a cargo net with clips so it can be removed.

Attachments

• IMG_5824.jpg
    IMG_5824.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 79
Back