What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Skirt Fit

NavyS3BNFO

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of fitting the skirt to the canopy and I have some pretty big gaps near the back where it curves up the fuselage. I've looked at some of the other threads and it looks like some builders have just cut it off and layed up new fiberglass. I'm one of those "avoid fiberglass work at all costs" guys so I'm polling the collective to see if there is anything else I should try before I commit to major surgery. The rest of the skirt fits pretty well.

Attachments

• Skirt4.jpg
    Skirt4.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 34
  • Skirt3.jpg
    Skirt3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 33
  • Skirt2.jpg
    Skirt2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Skirt1.jpg
    Skirt1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 37
I found when fitting my skirt that to make that bulge go away I had to raise the tail of each section back where the split is for the slider track. You will need to retrim your top edge which will mean that you have to redrill for your clecos. You can fix this without using fiberglass but the back split is the key from my experience. I can show you what I ended up with but my start was similar to yours.

Like you, I HATE fiberglass work.

I do not like saying this but I have had better and faster results cutting off what I do not like and making my own with new layup(s).

I found when fitting my skirt that to make that bulge go away I had to raise the tail of each section back where the split is for the slider track. You will need to retrim your top edge which will mean that you have to redrill for your clecos. You can fix this without using fiberglass but the back split is the key from my experience. I can show you what I ended up with but my start was similar to yours.

Thanks. Any additional pictures/detail would be great.

BTW, got to tank from the KC-135 many a time back in the day.

The trick to pull the skirt flush to the fuselage is to cut the slits in the fiberglass skirt and the slits will fold into the fuselage skin. Then you fill the kerfs from the cut with thick microballoons, and put a layup of fiberglass cloth on both sides. Do it slowly and you will get the perfect fit. Don't use heat because it just warp the skirt and create more work for yourself. Some builders don't like cutting into their fiberglass panel but the skirt is NOT structural and this is okay. I don't recommend this method for structural fiberglass.

Skirt with slits cut in

can1.jpeg

Slits filled and faired with microballoons. Fiberglass covering will come next to make the skirt structural again.

can2.jpg

Check in later.

Last edited:
The trick to pull the skirt flush to the fuselage is to cut the slits in the fiberglass skirt and the slits will fold into the fuselage skin. Then you fill the kerfs from the cut with thick microballoons, and put a layup of fiberglass cloth on both sides. Do it slowly and you will get the perfect fit. Don't use heat because it just warp the skirt and create more work for yourself. Some builders don't like cutting into their fiberglass panel but the skirt is NOT structural and this is okay. I don't recommend this method for structural fiberglass.

What did you use to cut the slits? I ask b/c I've been using a dremel with a small cutoff wheel to trim the skirt but my sense is the kerf won't be wide enough. Also, did you have to rig something up to hold the skirt flush while the micro dried?

What did you use to cut the slits? I ask b/c I've been using a dremel with a small cutoff wheel to trim the skirt but my sense is the kerf won't be wide enough. Also, did you have to rig something up to hold the skirt flush while the micro dried?
Im heavy into the fiberglass work now and my 4.5" angle grinder with a thin cut off wheel has saved me much time! It slices right through the big stuff. I use a "flapper wheel" to knock down the edges and shape then hand sand the final stuff.

I used this big Dremel Ultra Saw

I used this saw to trim all of my fiberglass panels, cowl, and to rough cut the canopy flashing. This is much faster than the smaller Dremel cut bit. The small Dremel works for many small task but for the big cutting job, the Ultra Saw was my go to tool.

What did you use to cut the slits? I ask b/c I've been using a dremel with a small cutoff wheel to trim the skirt but my sense is the kerf won't be wide enough.
I use a Dremel with diamond cutoff wheels from Amazon to cut and trim fiberglass; it's very precise and doesn't burn or wear out quickly like abrasive wheels. Might need to make two passes if you need wider slits.

Like you, I HATE fiberglass work.

I do not like saying this but I have had better and faster results cutting off what I do not like and making my own with new layup(s).
Me too. I laid up a one-piece skirt from scratch because I knew my frame/plexi fit wasn't perfect and there was no way I was going to make one fit with metal. That whole experience was what taught me I hated fiberglass, but I'd still do it again

I had to make a custom snorkel since Van's was out of stock of the "normal" one and I have a non-standard engine. It still looks like garbage and is three times heavier than it should be, but at least it doesn't have to look good...

I used this big Dremel Ultra Saw

I used this saw to trim all of my fiberglass panels, cowl, and to rough cut the canopy flashing. This is much faster than the smaller Dremel cut bit. The small Dremel works for many small task but for the big cutting job, the Ultra Saw was my go to tool.

Perfect. I have one of those. Thanks.

Back