What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy lock?

jsisk

Wondering how RV-14 owners are locking their canopy latch? I have the Classic Aero interior latch mechanism. From the outside, I think it is similar to the stock Vans latch.

I just drilled a hole in the exterior latch handle and I hang a luggage lock. Secure enough to keep out the curious, but would be easily removed if you were determined. I figure better to have the panel raided than the canopy smashed. :eek:

I just drilled a hole in the exterior latch handle and I hang a luggage lock. Secure enough to keep out the curious, but would be easily removed if you were determined. I figure better to have the panel raided than the canopy smashed.

This is the logic I used building my flying plane. With my second build, I’ve gone with the JD Air latch and even though there are ways to do a nice locking arrangement, I’m opting to have no exterior lock. I’ve decided that a latched canopy is enough deterrent to prying eyes, and an ignition lock will/may deter aircraft theft.

My idea was I do not want to redo the canopy for a 3 rd time so I figured no lock so if someone wanted to break in, go for it. I left my plane in a FBO hangar a couple days and everything worked out ok. I did wonder if anyone opened the canopy just to look. I have decided to get some unique zip ties, drill a hole and zip it shut. It will not keep a robber out but will keep the curious who may touch something. I may be worrying about something that may never happen but I will give it a try next time and see if I am more relaxed as my plane sits in an FBO hangar or on the line.

How about putting a lock on a canopy cover? I realize cutting it would be easy but so is smashing a canopy. Plus the avionics are hidden from prying eyes.

Motion alarm

I placed a motion alarm ($24.99 on Amazon) between the rudder pedals or on the seat if I use a canopy cover. The idea is if someone wants to open the canopy and not break anything but get an alarm if they proceed further and hopefully scare them off. Placing a lock on the canopy just seems to say "What's inside is valuable" look further. No correct answer, I'm sure.

Back