What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy jettison release

Davea320

Well Known Member
Anyone modify the canopy jettison mechanism to account for center avionics stack? I want to locate the handle under the panel somehow so I don’t have to have the handle sticking out the front of the panel. Originally I planned to have the handle extend below the subpanel, but my navigator in the center prevents that as the nav tray extends into the subpanel.

Or should I just forget it and use bolts to secure the canopy?

Thx

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_3014.jpeg
    IMG_3014.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 79
  • #432 Dave Bellairs Finished Panel Photo.jpeg
    #432 Dave Bellairs Finished Panel Photo.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

This. We tried numerous ways to get the emergency release installed, but the radio stack was a major interference in all cases. Eventually said "F it" and just went with quick-release pins like this:

90302A056p1-b02-digitall@2x_636616341650329395.png

Since completion, the canopy has been off precisely once...when the plane was painted.

panelin1.JPG

I turned the handle 90 degrees and put it as far up as possible. I never hoped to use it except it made removing the canopy really easy not having to reach under and remove bolts or pins.

Roberta

I modified the existing release (pins on pivots) with a locking pin that's accessible for maintenance only. It has been used once while upgrading the seal under the forward skin edge.

There are a LOT of unknowns about releasing the canopy inflight, not the least of which include how to get the forward lugs out from under the skin (unless you've notched your forward skin and are willing to deal with a water leak for the life of the plane), how to exit a short low wing aircraft without hitting the tail (400 skydives taught me a lot about flying formation with the jump plane), and how the aircraft will fly just after the canopy leaves and you manage to crawl out over the rail for your meeting with the horizontal stab.

And I didn't mention the inadvertent pull and reset by an unsuspecting gawker while you looked away at the fly in ...

Fly well

Back