What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can i use a metal lock nut with a drilled bolt

Steve12385

I'm New Here
Was trying to get the cotter pins on the castle nuts that mount the engine to the engine mount with some not so good results. Then I notice now days the plans call for metal lock nuts. So my question is can i use a metal lock nut with a drilled bolt ? Or should i change out the bolts if i decide to use the metal lock nuts. thanks, steve

In general, lock nuts are not approved in place of cotter pins, in applications where the bolt is subject to rotational torques. However, if Vans engineering now allows lock nuts for this specific application, there is no loss of strength in substituting a metal lock nut for the castellated nut and keeping the same bolt.

Yes you can. The only damage will be to your wallet since you just paid 3xs as much for that bolt as was necessary. Build On.

For big bolts like the engine mount bolts, its fine.

...But....

Be careful with smaller bolts. I have a couple of times had drilled AN3 bolts in locknuts, (plate nuts actually) and had the tip of the bolt break off inside the nut at the cross-drilled hole and leave the tip of the bolt in the nut.

Last edited:
I have had a similar issue with drilled AN3 bolts snapping through the split pin hole.
The other thing I have experienced is the drilled hole can have a similar effect as running a tap through a locknut. The locknut loses its ‘lock’.

Back