What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

can I fix this horizontal stablilzer?

Dancer

I misaligned some holes while drilling and ended with extra holes and one double-hole in the HS-710 and HS-714(aluminum angle stiffeners) and HS-702 (front spar). I chose to build on and finished it 6 months ago. Now looking back I'm concerned bacause those are structural pieces.
I don't think I can go back and redo the angle stiffeners and front spar without completely disassembling the whole thing, and ruining it all.

My question is: can I just buy another HS-710 and rivet it between the HS-710 and HS-714 and REALLY strengthen everything-having 3 angle stiffeners instead of 2. Using regular rivets where I can reach and pop rivet where I can't reach.
I'm thinking this would certainly reinforce everything as long as it doesn't interfere with mounting the tail on the fuselage.

hs710il0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks,
Lance

RE: Call Vans

Call Vans. I would bet that you will find they have a quick/easy solution to your problem.

Frank @ SGU RV7A Panel/Electrical

You're right Norman. I should just fill those holes with rivets.

I just got off the phone with Gus at Van's and he suggested I take 1/8th inch thick aluminum 3/4" X 5" and rivet it where the double hole is with some extra long rivets. He didn't seem concerned about the additiional litening holes.

Lance

I have a question for ya, how did you cut the blue protective covering? I would lift it away and slice with a carpenters knife so the blade wouldn't hit the skin. Protective covering doesn't look that great but I was more concerned with scratching the skin. I saw another guy cut the strips out and his was smooth to.

Take a soldering iron and round the pointy tip and melt the vinyl. The dulled tip won't scratch the aluminum but don't press to hard. Also use a straight edge like a metal ruler to make the lines straight. I sometimes use the stiffeners and spars as straight edges when there clecoed to the skins.

Last edited:
Ditch,
Use a soldering iron with blunt point and gently move it in a line to melt the blue plastic. The plastic will separate where the soldering iron was. Some use a straightedge, but I just eyeballed the "lines". If you use a straightedge it will act as a heatsink so you need to move the iron a little slower.

I did exactly what Narturo did. I also used a place wooden yardstick as a straight edge to eliminate the heat sink issue and speed things up.

Lance

Even though I got some advice from Van's. I would still like to hear from anyone with differing oppions on fixing this horizontal stabilizer.

Back