What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can a GEA24 provide power to sensor?

N411TW

I have a UMA 1EM2K Hydraulic Pressure Sensor that requires between 10-30V, wondering if the GEA 24 can provide a 12V source for that?

There are some +12V pins on J243 which can supply power. Its probably best for you to look at the G3X installation manual to see how much current they can supply versus your required current.

Power

Most of those pins have a very low current limit. I was not able to power my Princeton fuel sensors with those pins and had to run a separate power circuit.

From the G3X installation manual: (revision AU)

23.4.18 Transducer Output Power

The GEA 24 supplies output power for engine/airframe sensors that may require supply voltage excitation. The GEA 24 outputs voltage levels of +5 and +12 Vdc. Each output can supply a maximum of 50 mA. If more than 50 mA is needed for a sensor, 3 outputs of the same voltage may be spliced together to allow an output current of up to 100 mA. Transducers that require more current (such as Princeton capacitive fuel quantity converters) must be supplied from aircraft power instead of GEA 24 transducer power output pins.

You may have to contact UMA to get a maximum current specification for the 1EM2K sensor, since it doesn't seem to be listed amongst the various spec sheets on their website.

UMA Tech Support sent a doc that in part said “NOTE: Make sure you have voltage power supply between 10 & 30V, it will not work with 5VDC!”

It depends on how much amperage your pressure sensor draws. This is from teh G3X manual:

The GEA 24 supplies output power for engine/airframe sensors that may require supply voltage excitation. The GEA 24 outputs voltage levels of +5 and +12 Vdc. Each output can supply a maximum of 50 mA. If more than 50 mA is needed for a sensor, 3 outputs of the same voltage may be spliced together to allow an output current of up to 100 mA.

The UMA sensor 1EM2K is listed as compatible for Garmin G3X, GEA24.
Garmin G3XT IM rev AU, pg 21-3.
My qualified guess for the current is 10 mA.

Good luck

It does show 10mA over on the left under specifications.

Yes, that's not in question. What I am questioning is whether this document applies to the 1EM2K sensor at all, since it is from a different series than the TxEU sensors this document applies to.

The current requirement for the UMA 1EM2K sensor may also be 10 mA, but I don't believe that there is any publicly available documentation to support this. Hence why I suggest contacting the manufacturer to find out.

Well one possibility is to just hook the sensor up to a bench supply and measure the current. I'm not sure how these devices operate so I'm not sure if the current varies. If however you were to measure 10 mA you are probably pretty safe. If you measure 40mA then probably not.

I'm not sure how the current is limited on the GEA power outputs. They may or may not have some type of poly switch type (resetable) fuses on each output. Which would mean that the GEA outputs are protected. Maybe someone here knows if that is the case. If that were indeed the case you would be pretty safe in trying to hook the sensor up to the GEA.

Back