What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camguard powerpoint

I'm not Ed, and I would be interested to see what he has to say as well. From Mike Busch's "All About Oil" webiinar: Shell 15w50 is NOT recommended because it is 50% synthetic and will not suspend particulates as well as a full petroleum based product. Search for the webiinar name on this forum and you will find a summary of it in a thread I posted some time ago if you wish to do a quick follow up and get more info. The full webinar is available on the EAA website.
Erich

Ed - I recently overhauled a lycoming IO-360 (200 hp). As it is now winter I needed to go with a multi grade oil. After speaking to their salespeople at Oshkosh, I decided to go with Aeroshell 15w50 from late fall to spring and Aeroshell w100+ in summer. The temperatures in Iowa can swing around a lot and I like the flexibility of the multi grade. The engine is preheated when night time temps are below 40. Oil changes are every 30-40 hours or so.

Will Camguard work with both of these oils? I use a total of 9 qts so I guess a half pint would be 5%.

Also, do you think these oils will work in my situation? Not wanting to start an engine oil flame war, but I'd love to hear what oil you'd use if you were me. You are clearly a lubrication expert with great knowledge and I'd like to benefit from that,

Thanks for any info you can share,

Dave Geibble

I use Phillips 20W-50 in the fall, winter and spring. I use AS W100 in the summer. I switch to demonstrate both oils are good and only cold ambient temperature makes the multi-weight advantageous. If I lived in Miami or Dallas I would use either oil. I use 9 quarts of oil and a bottle (pint) of Camguard.

I DO NOT like the two semi-synthetics available.

I don,t like the AS 15W-50 because it contains a large amount of PAO synthetic base oil (50%), which leads to increased varnish and thus lead sludge. The dispersant and the base oil team up to keep the varnish from forming. PAO does NOT aid the dispersant at all. Once formed, the varnish traps the lead particles forming sludge and sludge in hot areas sticks valves and piston rings. Dispersants DO NOT suspend lead particles.

Also the anti-wear in the AS breaks down in the engine to an oil soluble phosphoric acid derivative which attacks copper and seals. Shell puts a big slug of copper inhibitor to compensate. The seal aren't so lucky.

The Exxon Elite uses only 26% PAO which is much better. Their anti-wear is so much more stable it is ineffective as an anti-wear. So neither of the two isbad, HOWEVER the Elite uses a dispersant viscosity modifier that unfortunately forms a soft sludge in cool running engines.

These are the reasons I do not recommend either of these oils. I can tell you that Camguard will protect the seals from chemical attack (AS 15W-50) and prevent varnish from forming (and lead sludge) but it doesn't help the soft sludge problem of the Elite.

Ed

Last edited:
oil

When I was trying to science out why the 182 I bought had cyl problems at 400 hrs (early post in this thread) I talked to a guy that owns a oil testing lab that does oil testing and has for years about aircraft oil and the best to use .After years of testing everyones aircraft oil and diagnosing engine problems for wear and failure he says in his airplane he uses ASW100 and he lives in the middle of the country runs it year round and said if he was going way up north he would go to AS15-50 just for the trip.As far as additives he said none .
Bob

Once formed, the varnish traps the lead particles forming sludge and sludge in hot areas sticks valves and piston rings. Dispersants DO NOT suspend lead particles.
Ed

So if one didn't run much 100LL, and when they did they used TCP in the fuel, had ceramic coated pistons, valves, and combustion chamber, the lead sludge should go away in theory.

In my RV-6 I ran absolutely nothing but 100Wplus and the insides are covered with varnish. Quite a bit of buildup of lead on the piston faces.

My diesel VW, with 247K miles, is clean as can be inside even though diesel oil turns instantly black, running nothing but Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil.

Last edited:
I am, by nature, a skeptic. I do not believe in oil or fuel additives and have yet to see a well-controlled study to prove any benefit.

Has any testing been done where a statistically significant number of engines have been run side by side?
(Half with additives and half without) under the exact same conditions at the exact same power settings and then torn down to evaluate the effectiveness of an additive?
In the PowerPoint I see photos of sludge, rust, pitting, wear, etc. from an xxhr engine. How was the engine operated/maintained. What conditions did it fly under (crop duster, jump plane)? Where was it operated (Mississippi Delta or Dry Desert)? LOP or ROP? Flown by a rookie pilot or an old pro?

Same for the ?after additive ?photos. These remind me of the lifestyle lift commercials where a 72 year old hag is shown with scruffy gray hair and warts in a burlap dress in the before photo and then after a face lift she is a blonde, no warts perfect hair and in an evening gown.

I am also intrigued by one power point slide (I think number 12/41 that shows ?zones? of fully, partially, and non-combusted fuel and water in the blow by. While this makes theoretical or actual sense, is there any test rig where this has been or can be measured or proven to exist?
I am also not swayed by quantitative statements relative to gallons of water per unit of fuel or time. Etc.

Most of this goes out the exhaust. Most of what remains certainly, when it condenses and falls to the lowest point in the engine (oilpan) where it does little harm. I seriously doubt these molecules of badness conspire to seek out cam lobes, tappet surfaces etc. to do their misdeeds.

I am also curious as to the origins of the ?theory? that an engine must be preheated by ?flying it? and that a ground run up to operating temp causes harm while flying it to operating temp is good. Water starts to evaporate at relatively low temps (compared to ambient) and heads out the breather as vapor
All the while you are making more of it by running the engine. I can see the ?theoretic benefit of? the hotter you get the oil before an oil change the more you drive those molecules of badness into solution and thus remove them with the oil. My own belief (unproven by testing) is that the hotter the oil at oil change the ?thinner? less viscous it is and the more of the old stuff you get out.
I also believe that one size does not fit all. There are Lycomings, Continentals, Franklins, Rotax, Rotec, etc.
There are Carbureted engines, fuel injected engines, turbocharged and supercharged engines. Each has its strengths, weaknesses, and needs.

The other thing that seldom sways me in my evaluation of additives are endorsements.
Sean Tucker and Mike Busch were mentioned in the posts above not specifically as endorsements but as users of additives.

I don?t know Sean Tucker but I understand he is a heckuva good aerobatic pilot. ?What exactly? is it that makes his use of an additive a good reason for you to use it?

Mike Busch (from personal knowledge) is a heck of a good pilot, an excellent A&P/IA, a meticulous owner when it comes to maintenance, and an extremely knowledgeable guy. I pretty much emulate Mike in the way I have operated FI and Turbo/supercharged engines and when he speaks I listen.
I think Mike?s success in engine operation/longevity is due more to his meticulous diligence in operating them and not so much from additives.

I do not know whether Camguard or Avblend help an engine or not. I certainly have seen no testing or data that can prove they do not help an engine and I have seen no data or theory to suggest that they harm an engine.

I think both make reasonable theoretical arguments that their products do what they say as opposed to MMO. But I think most evidence that profess the use of additives is anecdotal rather than scientific and result based fact.
I do not criticize folks who use avblend or camguard for they may be doing the right thing and I may be wrong in my thinking.

I do not believe in additives based purely anecdotal evidence, and not based on scientific evidence or fact. Over many decades and talking to thousands of engine owners and operators along with personal experience I find that an overwhelming majority of engines (with 2 caveats) make or exceed TBO with little or no maintenance problems, no matter how well or poorly they are maintained or operated. They do so without additives.

The 2 caveats are those engines that sit for months on end and are seldom used and big bore Turboed engines that are being whipped to maximum capacity.

My purpose of this post is not to diss additives, more to promote skeptical thinking, and to get users to ask questions when presented with ?apparent? facts by ?apparent? experts.
How do you know :that: happens?
EXACTLY what testing did you do to prove what you say is true? Please describe to me your test facilities, equipment, and methods.

TRUST BUT VERIFY. Our aviation dollars are shrinking in value and they are too precious to spend on something unless you are sure it is of value.

Milt, I hear what you are saying; a healthy dose of skepticism is a good thing, and I can't personally offer the kind of proof you are looking for. I do find however that one can often separate the wheat from the chaff through nothing more than the quality and nature of a presentation and some knowledge of the people who believe in a product. I think we can all relate to giving a bit more credence to statements from certain contibutors to this forum than for others for example.
I personally found Ed's presentation as well as his responses in this thread well thought out and he also seems to have some credentials and very specific experience in the field. I also respect Mike Busch's opinion and experience, and I doubt very much that mike has relied on anecdotal evidence as the basis for his recommended use of Camguard. So, while it would be nice to see the side by side comparison you suggest, for the time being I will go ahead and use Camguard. I just don't get the same warm fuzzy feeling about other additives when looking at their claims and backers, so I choose not to use those products
Regards,
erich.

I am, by nature, a skeptic. I do not believe in oil or fuel additives and have yet to see a well-controlled study to prove any benefit.

Has any testing been done where a statistically significant number of engines have been run side by side?
(Half with additives and half without) under the exact same conditions at the exact same power settings and then torn down to evaluate the effectiveness of an additive?
In the PowerPoint I see photos of sludge, rust, pitting, wear, etc. from an xxhr engine. How was the engine operated/maintained. What conditions did it fly under (crop duster, jump plane)? Where was it operated (Mississippi Delta or Dry Desert)? LOP or ROP? Flown by a rookie pilot or an old pro?

Same for the “after additive “photos. These remind me of the lifestyle lift commercials where a 72 year old hag is shown with scruffy gray hair and warts in a burlap dress in the before photo and then after a face lift she is a blonde, no warts perfect hair and in an evening gown.

I am also intrigued by one power point slide (I think number 12/41 that shows “zones” of fully, partially, and non-combusted fuel and water in the blow by. While this makes theoretical or actual sense, is there any test rig where this has been or can be measured or proven to exist?
I am also not swayed by quantitative statements relative to gallons of water per unit of fuel or time. Etc.

Most of this goes out the exhaust. Most of what remains certainly, when it condenses and falls to the lowest point in the engine (oilpan) where it does little harm. I seriously doubt these molecules of badness conspire to seek out cam lobes, tappet surfaces etc. to do their misdeeds.

I am also curious as to the origins of the “theory” that an engine must be preheated by “flying it” and that a ground run up to operating temp causes harm while flying it to operating temp is good. Water starts to evaporate at relatively low temps (compared to ambient) and heads out the breather as vapor
All the while you are making more of it by running the engine. I can see the “theoretic benefit of” the hotter you get the oil before an oil change the more you drive those molecules of badness into solution and thus remove them with the oil. My own belief (unproven by testing) is that the hotter the oil at oil change the “thinner” less viscous it is and the more of the old stuff you get out.
I also believe that one size does not fit all. There are Lycomings, Continentals, Franklins, Rotax, Rotec, etc.
There are Carbureted engines, fuel injected engines, turbocharged and supercharged engines. Each has its strengths, weaknesses, and needs.

The other thing that seldom sways me in my evaluation of additives are endorsements.
Sean Tucker and Mike Busch were mentioned in the posts above not specifically as endorsements but as users of additives.

I don’t know Sean Tucker but I understand he is a heckuva good aerobatic pilot. “What exactly” is it that makes his use of an additive a good reason for you to use it?

Mike Busch (from personal knowledge) is a heck of a good pilot, an excellent A&P/IA, a meticulous owner when it comes to maintenance, and an extremely knowledgeable guy. I pretty much emulate Mike in the way I have operated FI and Turbo/supercharged engines and when he speaks I listen.
I think Mike’s success in engine operation/longevity is due more to his meticulous diligence in operating them and not so much from additives.

I do not know whether Camguard or Avblend help an engine or not. I certainly have seen no testing or data that can prove they do not help an engine and I have seen no data or theory to suggest that they harm an engine.

I think both make reasonable theoretical arguments that their products do what they say as opposed to MMO. But I think most evidence that profess the use of additives is anecdotal rather than scientific and result based fact.
I do not criticize folks who use avblend or camguard for they may be doing the right thing and I may be wrong in my thinking.

I do not believe in additives based purely anecdotal evidence, and not based on scientific evidence or fact. Over many decades and talking to thousands of engine owners and operators along with personal experience I find that an overwhelming majority of engines (with 2 caveats) make or exceed TBO with little or no maintenance problems, no matter how well or poorly they are maintained or operated. They do so without additives.

The 2 caveats are those engines that sit for months on end and are seldom used and big bore Turboed engines that are being whipped to maximum capacity.

My purpose of this post is not to diss additives, more to promote skeptical thinking, and to get users to ask questions when presented with “apparent” facts by “apparent” experts.
How do you know :that: happens?
EXACTLY what testing did you do to prove what you say is true? Please describe to me your test facilities, equipment, and methods.

TRUST BUT VERIFY. Our aviation dollars are shrinking in value and they are too precious to spend on something unless you are sure it is of value.

Milt,

All I can say is you need to read the information on our website much more carefully and you will find most of your questions are answered. The methods are described and the testing is performed by third party analytical labs. I did design some of the testing protocols because they did not previously exist. I designed them as the director of the engine laboratory as a member of the Advanced fuel and Lubricants group, at Exxon Research, when I was performing the initial research on the Exxon Elite. And as I stated earlier in this post that I did not post my presentation (It is FAA approved for IA continuing education) because it requires a lot of explanation (the example you site refers to heating up the engine fully by flying to maximize the amount of lead particles removed while draining the oil.)

I am also skeptical and do not believe in anecdotal stories as evidence. With all of Exxon's resources I personally tested over a hundred oil additives and a couple dozen fuel additives. I have not found many that do anything.

Ed

FWIW......

Back on 12-18-12 I cut three sections of ordinary mild steel strap from the same piece, bead blasted them nice and clean, and drilled a hole in each.

The first was dipped in Aeroshell 15-50. The second was dipped in straight Phillips 20-50. The third was dipped in Phillips 20-50 mixed with the recommended quantity of CamGuard.

a1kch.jpg

They spent the first few weeks hanging outside the shop (above) so the oil would have plenty of time to run off, just like inside a parked engine. Then I laid them flat on top of a handy landscape timber and left them a few more weeks.

Here they are on 1-29-13, a little over 6 weeks later:

2ryod9h.jpg

Frankly, I don't see a heck of a lot of difference, between samples or between the upper (uncoated) and lower (oiled) half of each sample. They seemed to develop rust pits at the same rate throughout the exposed period.

Not real scientific, just real.

Last edited:
Were they out in the rain??

Aren't cams made from cast iron?

Good info no matter what the specifics were, thanks for sharing.

Does bead blasting remove all traces of the rust pitting from mild steel coupons? Did you heat the oil and soak the metal in them a few minutes?

Seriously, I dont think anything lasts six weeks in the open outdoors. How about at 3 days, a week, 10 days, etc? Did they differ there?

cam

Yes its a warm year in the south.Dan i think your on to something with your testing and it would be great to get 2 or three Lyco cams and coat them like that maybe heat them in oven first. Hope you will put up a post for bad cams and run more test.
Bob

Back