What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

California To Florida And Back

Frankster13

I am considering doing a cross country trip from California to Florida. I am looking for suggestions and comments relating to feasibility and things to worry about. I am still in the early planning stages. I will be flying my RV-14A. I am an experienced pilot, IFR ATP rated. This would be during a winter weather window.

Last edited:
I am considering doing a cross country trip from California to Florida. I am looking for suggestions and comments relating to feasibility and things to worry about. I am still in the early planning stages. I will be flying my RV-14A.

What time of the year are you thinking about this trip? If it's in the summer, you'll need to think about thunderstorms. When not in thunderstorm season, imo, the trip is easier.

I'd recommend a route that roughly passes through: SoCal - SJN - DMN - AMA then around any restricted airspace that you might cross a you fly towards the Florida panhandle, and a right turn to go down the Florida coast to your destination.

More details would be helpful for better recommendations.

I am considering doing a cross country trip from California to Florida. I am looking for suggestions and comments relating to feasibility and things to worry about. I am still in the early planning stages. I will be flying my RV-14A.

Kinda difficult to respond without knowing your goals and experience level.

There are some beautiful and scenic routes. High density altitude operation and weather are likely the two major factors. Perhaps airspace is the third.

south route for sure

after doing this trip a couple of times in small planes, it is best not to try to plan exact stops. weather will likely change any hard plans you make. be flexible. start flying early in the morning and find a place to park by 3-4 pm so smaller airport facilities are still open.

…it is best not to try to plan exact stops. weather will likely change any hard plans you make. be flexible.
This right here… a few years ago I did a SoCal to Texas run in my RV-8; usually I’ll do the southern route over El Paso, but for this particular December trip I was eastbound behind a fast moving cold front. The El Paso/Fort Stockton area was closed with low clouds and ice; no bueno! So from Blythe I tracked east towards ABQ for a stop at Belen. From Belen I was delayed a bit waiting for the low clouds to move on before departing over the ridge line to the east, but eventually I could launch and head E then SE to Houston. And holy moly, I've never been so cold in my life as on this trip… the sky was just frigid with high clouds blocking any sun and the cabin head just couldn’t keep up. Brr. Bring a heavy coat, and don’t stash it in the aft baggage like this dummy did!

Ive done Mojave to Key West a couple times in the Rocket and the winter weather can be very fickle. +1 for flexibility on stops - the weather does not care. Got stuck in Perry Fl. for two days due to low clouds between there and Texas. Ended up flying for 2+ hours in brilliant sunshine, but on top of a low, unbroken layer that extended right to the ground. Not fun.

Back in December of 2018 I took my 8 from Saint Simons Island, GA. to Chino CA. Had some business out there so made a long trip out of it. Was gone only 5 days. Made it back in one long day. Stopped in Dona Ana, KDNA, just west of El Paso, then over to Conroe, TX., KCXO, then home. Had great tailwinds and the next day was my anniversary...

Anyway, it's doable in these planes. I know you'll take a lot more time, but it's a nice ride across the south, across Texas, southern NM and AZ then into CA.

Enjoy yourself.

Southern route

Agree with others, southern route usually works best. Down the central valley to Bakersfield, then east. I normally take O2 and fly in the teens east bound to take advantage of winter winds, although I see that wouldn’t work with today’s winds aloft! If planing a fuel stop(s) at a smaller airport I usually call ahead to confirm the fbo will be open, or, at least, the self serve pump is working. I generally look for a fuel stop that has some sort of food available on the field, although you can always bring your own sandwich. For overnight, I usually look for an overnight stop in a modestly large city. Much better chance of finding a motel within walking distance, or reliable uber/taxi service. Call ahead for room availability. Never count on an ‘airport car’ being there. Just in case, throw a sleeping bag in the back. Unlike some other comments, I’m not adverse to flying into the later hours. Remember night will come ‘early’ for you east bound, due to the time zone change. If landing at 9 pm it’s best if there’s a hotel within easy walking distance, with a restaurant (or at least McDonalds) that’s open until 10. It’s an adventure, have fun, don’t press your luck.

Back