What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cable Tie Mounts

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
I saw posts about people using these cable tie mounts for wire runs after removing the tape from them and sticking them in place with glue (Goop seemed to be the favorite). The tape really doesn't stick well to the plane, but it sure sticks well to the mount itself! Is there a secret to removing the tape, outside of patience and a razor blade? Maybe I just wasn't looking in the right place, but I couldn't find mounts without the adhesive, otherwise I would have bought those instead.

Attachments

• 20231017_162223.jpg
    20231017_162223.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 75
Yes, I used lacquer thinner with a little coaxing to get the sticky stuff off. I then ran it over some 80 grit to get a good bite with the adhesive. I used E6000. Goop is probably about the same. Don't mess with it until the next day so it bonds well.

Have fun

I glued a short length of tubing using Proseal and ran wire thru the tubing. Working great and it was a way to use leftover and beyond expiration date tank sealant.

I used the Click Bond cable tie mounts. Initially I was using their adhesive as well but it has a short shelf life so every time I went to use it I couldn't cause it was dried up. I switched over to just using 5 minute epoxy which seems to work fine.

Zip tie squares

I used the zip tie squares after removing the foam tape and using the amazing Goop all over the airplane. They have flown 160 hours in two years without one of them coming loose. I have maybe 70 of them installed. Ease of installation and no drilling of holes in my structure are the main reasons I would do it the exact same way the next time.

Stick it in place and put a pulled rivet in it.

I prefer no mount when I can reach the other side. Drill a hole, put a zip tie thru the hole from the backside, loop around the wire, back thru the hole, and then tighten it down.

I tried those square mounts in Brandon's original message. Tried using their own adhesive and also tried using E6000. Tried attaching to both painted and primed surfaces. All but one came un-done by my first condition inspection. Not a fan.

These are great assuming you are really sure that is right where you want it. I use the adhesive type for initial layout, and then when I'm sure that's where I want them, I peel them off and glue them back on.

These are great assuming you are really sure that is right where you want it. I use the adhesive type for initial layout, and then when I'm sure that's where I want them, I peel them off and glue them back on.

I do similar. Your choice of adhesives is like the world's oyster, but it is not whatever piece of tape is on the back of a simple tie mount. All of the ones I used on the last airframe were still there 15yrs later the last I saw it.

I have been trying to get stick-on cable tie mounts to work for most of my adult life with little success. These seem to work. Maybe I haven’t waited long enough but some have been on 3 years in a SoCal T-hanger that sees temperature swings of 30F daily.

Attachments

• IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 98
I do similar. Your choice of adhesives is like the world's oyster, but it is not whatever piece of tape is on the back of a simple tie mount. All of the ones I used on the last airframe were still there 15yrs later the last I saw it.

Ah yes, that is the question. I have used pro seal mostly, but some screwed when it was possible, even a pull rivet, but the OEM tape was removed soaking in mineral spirits or small closed container of naphtha.

Now that the building is all over I am liking any 3M VHB tape for strength and permanence. I have not trusted my GoPro to it yet .:eek:

Buy them without the adhesive

I use those plastic tie downs with 15 min epoxy works great
You can purchase them without the adhesive.
I think I got them from Allied Electronics
I just skuff up the bottom with a piece of sand paper before bonding

I once worked on a plane where the builder epoxied them down but left the adhesive and paper on! :eek:

I used them by cutting the foam tape out of the middle leaving a narrow perimeter of sticky tape. Fill the center with E6000 and stick them in place - the perimeter of foam tape holds the thing right where you want it while the glue dries. Holding well for 3 years now...

Just buy a roll of 3M VHB tape. Cut a new square of this tape and put it on the cable tie mount. VHB means Very High Bond.

It won't peel off!

The non adhesive cable tie mounts are readily available on Amazon and other websites. Don’t be deterred by naysayers, these mounts with a dab of E6000 work great and are easily installed. Recommended by Bob Nuckolls of the Aeroelectric Connection as well. I’ve been flying my RV-7A since 2008, not a single failure yet. Not recommended for high heat areas (Firewall forward).

Zip tie mounts

I have used the foam backed square zip tie mounts:
Remove the foam as best you can
Use some sort of solvent to remove remaining glue
Rough up the back with ~60g sand paper so surface is not longer shiny
Glue on with E6000

I have not had a single one come loose after 10+ years

Warren
RV7
KMIC, Minneapolis

Back