What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cable Lengths

Berchmans

Well Known Member
I am building my second RV8 in 10 years. I do remember that the mixture, prop gov and throttle cables were different lengths but for the life of me i cant remember what they were!

Engine is going to be a YIO360M1B with Hartzel prop...

anyone remember the numbers:

I am building my second RV8 in 10 years. I do remember that the mixture, prop gov and throttle cables were different lengths but for the life of me i cant remember what they were!

Engine is going to be a YIO360M1B with Hartzel prop...

anyone remember the numbers:

Just measured mine (IO360 M1B). It is 30" from the quadrant to the firewall and came up with total lengths of;

60" for the throttle
55" for the mixture
52.5" for the prop.

Ordering the ACS from Spruce (quoted $177 US ea) even though they have a 4 month delivery time. After reading about cable failures after 500ish hours with the Vans cables and McFarlane apparently wanting about $500 per cable I will wait.

I really recommend the McFarlane cables for throttle and mixture. It is such a pain to have to replace them that it is easily worth the extra cost in saved frustration later. And they are smooooooth!

Checking my build notes for my IO-360-A1A, angle valve horizontal induction with governor on the accessory case, I used 48" for the governor (would have been better to use 49" if I were to do it again), 52.5" for the mixture (it goes to a reversing bell crank mounted to the sump - a Vans system for horizontal induction) and 60" for the throttle (would have been better to be 58" or so if I were to do it again).
Is the IO-360-M1B horizontal induction? If so, these lengths may be about right for you too.

Given the price, you want to be darn sure about the lengths before you order from McFarlane. I think I have my old Van's cables sitting around collecting dust in the hangar. If someone would like to have them to do trial fits to check lengths, I would give them away for just shipping cost.

Last edited:
Cables!

Steve, I’d love to take you up on that offer, email on the way. Charlie

Back