What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cabin heater valve

godspeed

Well Known Member
Just built the heater valve kit but have not cut the hole in the
firewall, after talking to a local builder (were in the deep south)
he never connected the hose to the exhaust pipe heater and
said he has never opened the valve, not needed in the deep south
I wanted to ask, does anyone really need heat in these planes
down here.. ? is it worth the danger of fire on the inside..
I have seen the stainless steel versions of the valve ect.. but I am
not so sure I need it down here.. even the winter is not so cold I can't
ride my harley most of the time with a light jacket.. could I just leave
it off till I can see if its too cold in the cabin.. I have a firewall insulation
from abby (flightline) I just don't know if I will be needing heat down
here.. I have very limited seat time in any aircraft.. hope that changes
if I every finnish this thing..

Danny
RV9A 90719
landing gear

Danny,

I live in the north east where heat is needed in the colder months, but even in the summer when it is in the 80s and higher and I decided to go to 9000 or even 12000 feet you'll wish you had heat. Decide what type of flying your going to do, IFR, long cross Country's, is nice to have it when you need it.

Have Fun
Adam
flying RV-4
Finnish RV-8 :)

I'm in TX, and the other day it was 101F on the runway and 66F at 9500 feet. I pulled the heat out one notch to make it comfortable. I think that when it's 40 outside, I'm going to have this thing open a lot.

Prevent fuel and oil leaks to prevent fire coming through the hole. ;)

You may consider making the hole smaller than called for. My entry hole (the hole in the baffle) is smaller - about 1.5 in in diameter.

Brian N9612S

Last edited:
heater valve

If you ever plan on travelling north, maybe a trip to Canada or Alaska, you will want the heater. And, like Adam said, if you travel at altitude you may want/need one. Even in summer time, temperatures at altitudes above turbulence(12k-14k) can be a little chilly. I saw near-freezing temperatures at altitude on the way home from LOE'04 flyin last fall. The heater came in quite handy.

Also, if you ever sell the airplane, most buyers would want the option.

You can always leave the heater valve OFF, but you can't turn it ON if it isn't installed.

Thanks

all are good points.. Its settled, I will install the heater.. thanks again..

"If you ever sell the airplane"

Bite your lip, my kids are going to bury me in this thing.. then again, the guy next door said I was building a cofffin.. :) He must get all his excitement
watching tv.. I want to have fun in this life, building a aircraft is not a spectator sport..

Danny. .

Last edited:
Heater needed above 10,000 feet!

Like the man said, even on a hot 90-degree F day in Tennessee, it was only 4 degrees Celcius (40F) at 13,500 feet.

Jerry Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A N2PZ

One muff or 2?

Does the vetterman exhaust kit that van's sells come with 2 cabin heat muffs or just one?

Thanks,

Pete

Back