What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cabin heat scat hose routing

R.P.Ping

Well Known Member
Okay, I'm working on finishing up the engine compartment details. Van's says the inlet duct for cabin heat is on the left front floor baffle. The heat muff is mounted on the right tail pipe. I looked at how the scat would run around the front of the engine cross over exhaust, some how past the alternator, down the right side of the engine (next to the exhaust stacks) and finally connect to the heat muff. :eek: I mounted the inlet on the right rear baffle and straight down to the heat muff.

Any thoughts or experiances out there? Does it degradate engine cooling with the loss of air at the rear of the "plenum"? I've seen it done this way on many other airplanes.

Going to the hangar for final assembly in two weeks! :D

Last edited:
cabin heat routing

I can't figure out what you've done from your description, but her is a photo of my set-up. The cabin heat inlet is on the right rear baffle, down to the heat muff, then from the heat muff to the cabin heat diverter.

Vern Little
RV-9A

engine_compartment_1.jpg

Heat duct routing

Here's a pic. Seems like the right way to go. Vans installation seemed fairly convoluted. I like your installation a little better. I never thought to put the flange so low. I would have had to cut the flange down a bit but your flange installation is closer to the muff and uses less scat tube. Well....if I ever build another one there is a lot of things I would do differently.

080520059ac.jpg

Last edited:
Back