What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cabin Air Whistles

Jim P

Well Known Member
I'm taking a shot here for some help. I'm getting towards the end of Phase 1 and I installed a fiberglass targa strip to the tip-up canopy. After it was bonded, the canopy is tight to close and appears to seal very well. That's good. The bad part is the that now I have a nice loud air leak. I suspect that I've had one, but the air coming in = the leaks around the tipper aft adge and I didn't get the noise, but with that closed up, I'm thinking I now have a leak on the forward edge causing the noise. It doesn't seem to vary with vent open/ closed. Any hints to track down the culprit? I'm heading to the aviation aisle at the locak Home Depot for some weather stripping to tighten up the any gaps.

My -7 isn't flying yet, but most canopies have strong flows *out* from the sides where the canopy meets the longeron. The 1st -4 I owned was unbelievably loud until I sealed up the gaps between the canopy sides & the top longerons.

Charlie

Jim,
It may be your front seal on the sub-panel. I have a leak there that whistles sometimes. I believe it is around the hinge area. I'm planning on riveting a piece of metal in the gap and changing the seal.

Rocky

In taking a better look at the closed canopy, the canopy itself sits a little proud of the boot cowl skin and I suspect that's acting like a scoop. I'm going to fit a little fairing to bring it level and see how it goes.

Back