What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bullet cams...not so easy

This one is in response to Groucho's excellent write up of how to make his bullet cam work.

On Bryan's site you will see a list of camcorders that have AV inputs, necessary to read the putput of the bullet cam.

Unfortunately this information is incorrect in that if you go thru Circuit City's website looking for camcorders with AV inputs there are indeed VERY few mini DV 'corders that have an AV input.

Furthermore this site cannot be trusted as I bought a Panasonic PV-GS320 corder with an AV plug only to find that it is an AV OUTPUT only. In other words it will not read the bullet cam in through that port, despite the fact the site advertises an AV INPUT on this camcorder.

According to CC the ONLY cam that will import AV images is the Cannon DV-20, i,e the high definition camera that Bryan has.

Its also twice the moola at $719. A good deal for a HD corder but more than i wanted to pay.

There are cheaper disk cameras that have AV inputs but the customer write ups on them are mixed at best and I don't know how the DVD drive will stand up to G's.

If anyone knows of a Mini DV cam that will work please let me know.

I'll put a note in Bryan's inbox on this.

Thanks

Frank

The cheapest usable recorder I have found is at Best Buy for $129, plus you will have to get a SD card of your choice for ~$25. THis unit is small, light weight, has AV input, and has a one touch record button that is easy to get to in flight. I used to have a sony handy cam but it was horrible to operate in the cockpit. This aiptek is a piece of cake and cheap. Simple USB charge and to get the stuff off.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8472958&st=aiptek+&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1185265539624
8472958_rb.jpg

FLASH MEMORY CAMCORDER

Hi all,

I have a bullet cam installed on my -7, but i was using a portable recorder, wich i think the quality is really poor. I have been searching a good camcorder with flash memory like canon fs10/fs11/VIXIA HF10, They have 8/16GB internal memory , seems to be a realy good camcorders and solve the problem with G loads.

The problem is i am not sure with model has has analog input as my only source is internet because i am located in South America. Anyone knows better any of these ? Or may recomend one that has for sure analog input? i wouldn?t like to buy a camcorder and discover they are incompatible with my bullet after received here so far.

Regards

Henrique

Shutter speed?

Do any of the forementioned cameras that work good have controllable shutter speed so you don't see the prop as a stick going backwards but rather a blurred disc, as is should be?

Bevan

Back