What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building on Faith...

Did you fly in an RV before you started building one?

• Nope - I started pounding rivets on the reputation alone!

Votes: 246 62.9%
  • Yup - I took that "$65K free ride"...!

Votes: 145 37.1%

• Total voters
I had finished and flown my RV4. After a year I missed building and did not know what to build. I know I needed more cockpit room and, of course, more power. The RV8 was just being talked about and there were no customer units flying. This was the summer of 96, I believe, and a friend had been to Oshkosh and told me about the Harmon Rocket II and how amazing it was. So I ordered the parts and built one in seventeen months. There were only ten flying when I started and they were almost all in California. There was NO manual, No internet, a few supplemental plans to the RV4 plans, and I had a magazine article with a few pictures. That was it. The first complete HRII that I saw was my own, and in Southern Ontario, Canada, at that time it was a rare bird indeed. It was the best choice I ever made and since then I have built a total of six rockets, two HRIIs and four F1s. I am currently have another one in the shop at this time. I am absolutely in love with these planes and I have accumulated over 1000 flying hours in this remarkable aircraft. I took a leap of faith and the last 10 years have been the ride of my life.

I didn't know much about RV's but saw them at Lakeland. Saw a good deal in Trade-a-Plane close to my location. A quick build RV6 with almost nothing completed. Bought the tools, RV6, O-320 as a package. I'm flying it now and am sure glad I didn't buy something else. One of the best decisions I have made. Great support and a great airplane. I'm having lot's of fun. Still needs paint etc. Gotta stop flying and start finishing things.

Faith.

I was half way through my RV wings before I had ever even seen an RV.
My story is very similar to Kahuna. I started building before I even laid eyes on a finished RV. I really don't recall when I first saw a completed RV but did get a ride in a RV-6 when I was working on my wings. I couldn't wait to get mine flying after that!! (Thanks Ken and Lucille!!!!)

While researching which plane to build I managed to narrow it down to 2 choices, Rans S-6S and Vans RV-7A. Ultimately I decided on the RV-7A.

At the time I purchased and started building my empennage I had no idea of the following, dedication, support, and size of the ?RV Family?. I was pleasantly surprised!

Faith also !

I have had a UK PPL for approx 20 years and although I wanted my own aircraft I couldn't afford one. Also I didn't really want a 30 year old model.

Then I read an article in Pilot magazine about Eric Marsh who built a RV4 in the UK which lead me to Van's website. Long story short after reading about Jon Johanson's trips around the globe in his RV and the idea of having a NEW aircraft to the spec I wanted and I was smitten.

Trip to OSH a few years back to visit the Van's booth and look at the competition and sit in the different models available and mind made up ! ( I didn't get a ride in a RV at the show because I read the the notice about having your Licence with you, which I didn't, and by the time I found out that wasn't absolute they were fully booked up ! )

Back home the Emp. order was sent off and now a few years later I still haven't yet flown in a RV - still have faith though

On faith

Entirely on faith. I?ve finished the empennage, most of the wings and am currently working on the ailerons while saving up for the fuselage. All of this and I still have not flown in an RV. I almost got to sit in one a couple of years ago at Osh Kosh. I waited in line for about 20 minutes while the guy in front of me sat inside and looked around. When he finally got out Van?s shut the canopy and told me they were closing for the day. Oh well? It has to climb better and have more room than the Cessna 140 I'm used to flying.

Back