What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Builders Age

Your Builder Age (when construction started)

• 18-25yrs

Votes: 29 5.7%
  • 26-30

Votes: 45 8.9%
  • 31-35

Votes: 69 13.6%
  • 36-40

• 41-45

Votes: 73 14.4%
  • 46-50

• 51-55

Votes: 73 14.4%
  • 56-60

Votes: 42 8.3%
  • 61-65

Votes: 22 4.3%
  • 65+

Votes: 16 3.2%

• Total voters
When I started building airplanes I was 39. When I started building RVs I was 46. When I started my present project (a plans built bi-plane) I was 62. Which number do you want?
Mel...DAR

I'm 40. The reason I pose this question is I wondered if most builders were in a life position with the kids grown and or out of college. I've been looking at the RV-7 for a couple years. I have been fortuate though, I did get my PPL several years ago. Everybody's got to have a dream though. :) Mine is to build an RV7.

Last edited:
older

Sorry but I just read my first post. I did start in 1988 at age 44 BUT I finished the 6 in 2001. Thats why I said what I said about taking so long. Man it's hell to get old. You forget stuff
Rich
N721ET

Started at 56... and started at 56 :(

It would be interesting to see which age groups are attracted to which models- guessing the 9/10's are mostly the older groups???

I started last fall at 26. I am 27 now and nearly finished with the tail kit. I hope I don't age 1 year during the construction of each subkit!!! Just might happen that way, though.

jbDC9 said:
Hey, I resemble that remark! I did a short gig at Express One, just over a year, '96-'97, B-727 FE (pax/cargo) then DC-9 FO. First freight job was Airnet (US Check) hauling checks in C-310s. Good times... and "why bother checking the weather, we're going anyway." When were you at Exp One?

John
RV-8 FWF

93 till the end. E/O Maint. I was double dipping. I worked a side jobs Zantop maintenance and at United maintence and any other flea bag airline that flew thru town that got a hole in it. I was a pro pilot major in college but I was making more as a maintainer than flying. I had to fly though so I took a Leave of absence from United and E/O maint and went to F/E school. but as they were losing the Postal contract I went back to UA AND e/o MAINTENANCE BEFORE IT CLOSED DOWN. aRE YOU GOING TO fUN & sUN A BUNCH OF US MEET THERE. dO YOU KNOW SHAUN REYNOLDS? SORRY ABOUT THE CAPITALS INSPECTOR 12 " cat" DANCED ON THE KEYBOARD AND I'M TO TIRED TO TYPE IT AGAIN.

Started in Aug 2004 at 55, wings should be complete in Feb, fuselage arrives in April, hope to complete by end 2007 at the tender age of 58. Thats what happens when you wait 20 years to start.
Still have kid at home and kid in college and a job with travel so carving out the time is the biggest challenge but the satisfaction when another piece of the project is completed is a great boost. It is also a project that is a great conversation piece "you are building a REAL airplane in your garage!!!!!!, are you going to fly it???" :D

Started at 56, wanted to fly it before I died, so I got the QB. Now in the finish stage, the project is in storage pending a move (after 35 years in the same location). Birthday is April 15 -(that's a helluva B'Day). You guys complaining about hair turning gray- mine turned loose.

Derrell
7A Finish

Age vs Model

Hey Cobra, I kinda take offense to your remark that older folks are probably the -10 builders. I'm 32 with a wife and 2 kids. My first choice was the -7 having ridden in several -6's. However, I needed the 4 seats so I bought the -10 kit and then finally got a ride in it last summer at OSH. If you've not ridden in a -10 yet then you need to. It's not quite the plane (performance and aerobatic) that the 7 is but it's not very far behind it. Besides, I can take 3 of my buddies with me to help split up the expenses.

All in good fun, of course.

Bill

Started at 48

Had my first flying lesson at the tender age of 46, got my license at 47(2002) and started my -7A 8 months later. Own and fly a very nice '59 C172 I bought as a 13 hour student pilot who hadn't even soloed yet. Finished my training and checkride in that plane and now have over 700 hours in it. I tell people that if it wasn't for that nasty four-letter word(work) I'd have the -7A (not QB) flying this year, but it'll probably be next('07). This has been the most enjoyable thread I've read since "You know you're an RV builder when....."

--hawk
RV-7A (finishing)
N728E (reserved)

Chad,

I've been married 15 years and the wife and I are in the same boat, by choice! We enjoy the travel and goodies. So far the only continent we haven't been to is Antarctica, and I hope to knock that out in a couple of years.

BTW, started at 35, now 36.

cjensen said:
i'm in the same boat!! so far...
:)

jimrobinette said:
Chad,

I've been married 15 years and the wife and I are in the same boat, by choice! We enjoy the travel and goodies. So far the only continent we haven't been to is Antarctica, and I hope to knock that out in a couple of years.

that's really great jim that you have been able to travel that much! i totally envy you!

we are by choice as well. our dog is our kid. of course, that means we have to do something with him when he can't go with us...

married 4 years, and kids aren't even on our radar.

What about us guys who built more than one?

Do you want the age when we started the first one or the last one?

Real old guy

jbDC9 said:
Wow, I figured that when I began around 35 that I was getting a fairly early start, but after reading some of these posts I'm kinda feeling old and crusty... I just turned 37 a few days ago and have maybe 6 months or so until it's done. I'm amazed that 20-somethings are building; when I was early to mid 20s working as a freight dog and commuter pilot I didn't have a dime to spare, much less enough to build anything... stupid airline career.

Ah well, it's finally paying off; 37 with a wife, dog, no kids, an RV-8 and a CBR 600 F4 in the garage. I'm still young enough to act like a kid I suppose...
Frankly, I don't have time to build, I'm MAKING time. 15 Units at school, 16-20hrs a week at my A&P job, and I'm starting my CFI certificate this fall (in ground school now). Time and money are both in short supply, but i'm gonna will this airplane together :).

And no, I don't plan to pay for it by instructing! A&P pays MUCH better.

Started too old

I wish I had learned to fly at an earler age. This hobby has given me more than it has given me.
I started my first RV 6, July 15, 1995, and the first flight was Oct 18, 1996. Put 500 hours on it.
It was not my first airplane. I had built and flown three powered hangliders before. Many RC and U control models too.
I got my licence in 1985 @ 34 years of age in a 1959 C 172. I bought it at about 20 hours [like another poster] with no solo time. I got my private, inst, and comerecal in it. Later had a Bonanza for 5 yrs and 800+ hours, then a Cheorkee Six 400 + hours
In 10 years of RV building I have built 5 RVs solo, and am working on my 6th a RV 8.
In have test flown 20 or so RVs on first flights. Have had so much fun I think I will keep going. I'm 59 now.

Last edited:
You kids kill me

I'm 49 and 46 months :D

(I think I was 27 when I started...but I can't remember)

Tom Costanza
Wings (fuel tank hell)

I'm about to be 32... but I'll probably be closer to 34 by the time I really get started on the plane. Don't have the time and money to learn to fly AND build the plane at the same time. :mad:

Who came up with this concept of having to work for money, anyway?! :rolleyes:

Builders age

Started my RV-6 right out of college at the ripe ol' age of 23. Was bucking rivets in the my dad's first RV-3 back in 1980 when I was 7 yrs old. The RV-3 tailcone is very tight to work in, even when your 7!

cfi

osxuser said:
Frankly, I don't have time to build, I'm MAKING time. 15 Units at school, 16-20hrs a week at my A&P job, and I'm starting my CFI certificate this fall (in ground school now). Time and money are both in short supply, but i'm gonna will this airplane together :).

And no, I don't plan to pay for it by instructing! A&P pays MUCH better.

Here in Northern California our flight instructors get $50+ an hour. I'm guessing thats a little better than a fairly new A&P.
Tom
RV3
northern california

tin man said:
Here in Northern California our flight instructors get $50+ an hour. I'm guessing thats a little better than a fairly new A&P.
Tom
RV3
northern california

here in the midwest, we get $48 an hour at the fbo, but only half goes to the CFI. independent CFI's are charging $20-25/hour.

What'd be interesting is to do a poll showing what age you finished / first flew your RV! I'm hoping 31 is the lucky year for me, which just happens to be this year.

I started an rv4 at 23 in 2001.
Finished in 2003 at age 25.
I am pretty sure the airplanes design is older than I am

max

I feel right at home. Come hell or high water I'm going to start a QB RV9 before I turn 53. That happens to be May.I would sure like to finish before I turn 55.

I would guess that this poll is not very representative of the actual number. It is probably safe to assume that a larger number of young builders use the internet more often and than the older builders. It isn't because they can't use the internet or a site like this, they just don't care as much, they have more experience, and are most likely much busier in thier lives.

There should be a large spike around 45 to 55 and their isn't. You can see this spike in any other poll where dicretionary income is anayzed. Just look at the number of Harley owners on their website or motorcycles in general. Also, attend your local EAA chapter meeting a do a poll there. It will definately weigh towards the 55+ category.

I can't believe how many young builders there are out there. I personally think it is great. Maybe this is the result of the Young Eagles program or just the EAA and Oshkosh.

ScottSchmidt said:
I would guess that this poll is not very representative of the actual number. It is probably safe to assume that a larger number of young builders use the internet more often and than the older builders.

Could be. A friend of mine is 76 and working on his (Sport) Pilot's License because of previous heart surgery but still in good health. I think I have him thinking seriously about an RV12. ;)

descretionary income and age

I guess that was another reason to ask the question. I just wondered if there where many younger folks in the sport? I'm not alone! Now I just gotta convince my wife:) :D

Age don't (shouldn't) count

Started flying when I was 30. That was in 1966. A buddy of mine and I started a flying school when neather of us knew how to fly. We bought a 150 and hired an instructor that was fresh out of school. We blocked time our students at $8.00 per hour or $10.00 if not blocked. This was for a wet plane with instructor. Gas cost us less than .30. We added a 172 and later a Piper 250.
Now this many years later I believe the RV-9A will be my plane number 14. I started it in Jan of 05 and it will fly before summer is over when I am 70.
Wish me luck.
51HS res.

It was a very good year

1936 was a very good year Harvey even if the depression was still on - November 3, 1936.

Bob Axsom

older fart

I'm gonna be 52 in 27 days, and I'm just in the process of ordering the tail kit for an 8. Started skydiving in 1974, flying in 84. I remember when the Dead Sea was just SICK..... :eek: Anyway, I guess its never too late to start.....and REMEMBER...the only truly bad publicity you can get is your obituary! :D Gentlemen....BUILD ON!!!

Alan

My first, an RV-6 I started at 56 and finished at 62 ( was working full time) My second an RV-7 Started at 65 and finished at 67. I am now building an RV-10 and building an IFR panel for a RV-7A. Not much time left to play on the computer.

Ed Booth, Trenton, SC

multiple builders

Here at KSCK we have four RV projects underway that I know of. Two of us babies are 54. One big brother is 71 and the old man is 86. That's right; at 86 he's building his second RV, and still flying the first one that was finished last year. He's my hero.

A new twist on the polls?

How about a poll for age when you finished? Or how many years/months? Instead of when you started. I know some guys who bought an empennage kit and couldn't afford to go any farther for awhile. You know-kids, houses, college, work etc. My buddy took nine years to build a quickbuild RV-6! A house and replacing two cars killed my progress for awhile. And those two cars are seven and eight years old even now :(

Oh wait. Maybe I just depressed myself. I've been at it for eleven years.

I do agree that a lot of the earlier builders don't use the internet forums. I'm 42 myself.

The calendar says 44 but the brain stopped at 30. I'm pleasantly shocked at the high number of builders under 40!

IT's never too late....I had a grandfather who flew airplanes into his 80's and was regularly pulled over for speeding on his motorcycle well into his 90's :cool: ... hopefully my medical (and genes) will hold out until then.

Back