What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bucket of Bolts

asw20c

Well Known Member
So the old joke goes something like this; you repair something on your car/truck, and when you are done you have a bunch of hardware left over, despite being "finished". I'm in the very last few pages of the plans and find that I have a ton of hardware left in inventory from all the kits. Throughout the years as I have been building, I always thought that somewhere later in the plans that the remaining hardware would be used; that I just hadn't gotten there yet.
Nope.
I see now that I'm going to have a bunch of unused hardware (not just rivets, nuts, and bolts, but odd things like hoses and specialty hardware) leftover. Could this simply be the difference between conventional and tricycle gear kits? That it is cheaper for Vans to make one set of hardware to ship for both styles? I'm curious if others who are close to finishing the build, or have finished, found themselves in the same situation. I am highly confident that I did not miss or skip anything during construction.

Hardware

I buy fasteners so there are extra of everything.
However, I recently went through the remaining items. Every one was tagged and checked to be certain it was not required for whatever reason. Most were for other options. Any remaining that have to be installed are in my last storage container. It's getting real because there isn't much in there.
I also have a binder of tips or important steps and as they are incorporated, they get ripped out. Some are easy to miss like drilling weep holes.

Was your kit a QB kit?
I believe the HW bags that they send contain some of the bolts that were already installed as part of the QB.
If not, then you might want to re-examine and make sure nothing we left uninstalled.

Also, I seem to remember the QB units sometimes only have enough fasteners to keep the parts aligned----you need to install the rest of them.

Kit

Was your kit a QB kit?
I believe the HW bags that they send contain some of the bolts that were already installed as part of the QB.
If not, then you might want to re-examine and make sure nothing we left uninstalled.

Nope. All slow build. Very slow!

If you take something apart and put it back together enough times, eventually you will end up with two.

Back