What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake line bulkhead fitting with flexible brake lines?

sritchie

Well Known Member
Hey folks,

I'm working on installing my flexible brake lines from Tom at TS Flightlines. Tom helped me find rubber bushings that would fit the lines; the diameter of the bushings is larger than the channel they need to pass through under the front seats.

In the original plans you're supposed to use a snap bushing here and trap it with a matching metal piece. There's not enough metal to fully drill out the hole to 3/4" for the bushing. What have folks done here? Do you just force the trapping piece over the bushing and squish it in? Or protect the flexible line some other way?

Here's a picture of the bulkhead fitting: https://www.dropbox.com/s/htsuwwiezbtaovs/IMG_6566.JPG

And here's the relevant page from the manual: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ts8i7os9i1b41ee/IMG_6567.JPG

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Non standard system bracket fittings

I was actually thinking about this problem yesterday, and decided what I would do is to design and 3D print in nylon a fitting that would bolt onto the existing two holes at each end of the bottom of the "systems bracket", and throw the existing top metal pieces away. Apart from having a return fuel line in my case, it also seems to me that a bit more room for wiring support would be useful. I have had some success in the past with 3D printing in Nylon for wing conduit brackets (see here).

I've gotten as far as writing down a note to contact Tom @ TS and find out the OD of the braided brake (and fuel) lines, which I haven't done yet. Feel free to tell me the answer(s) on this thread.

If anyone is interested let me know, in which case I'll escalate the activity and post a picture of the prototype.

Adrian

I don't know the RV-10 well; looks like a bracket to hold some lines. Why not just make up a new one with the dimensions you need for the lines you're using?

It is not an uncommon practice to simply zip tie the line to the bottom bracket and leave off the top bracket if it doesn't fit as designed.

Sam---you can split the grommet, so when it goes in the bracket, its very snug and fits tight around the hose.

Sam---you can split the grommet, so when it goes in the bracket, its very snug and fits tight around the hose.

and if you so desired, glue it back together with cyanoacrylate glue. Prototype o-rings are made this way and work just fine.

Back