What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Both ignitions fail?

I would not say impossible - nothing is 100%, but the 912 is designed with redundant and self-powered ignitions that mimic the magnetos on conventional engines. You don't have to worry about health of the main battery in the air other than to power instruments, lights, and elevator trim servo. The EFIS and GPS have internal backup batteries to keep them operating in the event of a power failure. The engine ignition will keep functioning perfectly with a main power failure.

Edit - the Dynon D-180 EFIS in early 12's may not have a backup battery supplied as standard. It think it is optional. GPS always have an internal backup battery.

Last edited:
D-180 does have backup battery - -

Early D-180's came with a backup battery installed. Mine is about 8 years old and will still power up well. Have not tried to see how long it would keep running, but seems good.

I agree with Jim. Whatever caused the engine to quit running on the ground is completely unrelated to the aircraft battery or electrical system. The only thing in common between the ignition system and aircraft electrical system is the spinning engine flywheel that has embedded permanent magnets. The engine will not stop when the master switch is shut off.

Although unlikely, since the plane had sat for a while maybe a lack if positive fuel flow from the electric fuel pump to the engine driven fuel pump cause the engine to stop running on taxi out.:confused:

I think that the reason that the engine died on the taxiway may have been due to a too low idle setting, about 1600 rpm. I throttled back on reaching the end of the taxiway, that's when it quit and never restarted due to the battery having a problem. I don;t think that there was ever a fuel problem. I have a switch on the fuel pump and my starting procedure is to turn on the electric pump and note the fuel pressure, after the engine starts I check the fuel pressure again and expect an increase in the fuel pressure. That way I KNOW that both pumps are working.
Completed my BFR today, good to go now.
Henry

Back