What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Borrow an SWR meter - VOR antenna tuning

RedRaider94

Long shot but I thought I would throw this out here. Anyone here around North Dallas (I’m located at Aero Country) by chance that has an SWR meter like an MFJ that I might be able to come get and borrow?

I’m having a mess of a time with my Bob Archer wingtip antenna (it works just not terrific) and would like to try and tune it a bit better before I scrap it and put in a new one near the tail.

Thanks!

This is common equipment for ham radio operators. Might look around for a radio club.
Did you follow the directions? I’ve seen one where the ground leg was no where close to the end rib. I saw another where the radiating leg was against the end rib, and the ground leg was out in the wingtip! Needless to say, those owners were disappointed in their performance.

You don't need an VSWR meter, you need an antenna analyzer which will let you see in real time what the signal is doing as you make adjustments.

I have both and if you come over I can help you figure it out. I used mine to make sure my 110' piece of electrical wire would resonate on the bands I want to transmit without needing a tuner. (AF5R - Amateur Extra Class).

Last edited:
Meter

You don't need an VSWR meter, you need an antenna analyzer which will let you see in real time what the signal is doing as you make adjustments.

I have both and if you come over I can help you figure it out. I used mine to make sure my 110' piece of electrical wire would resonate on the bands I want to transmit without needing a tuner. (AF5R - Amateur Extra Class).

What he said. Also a HAM and spent quite a few years as a radio tech.
I still have my watt meter, VSWR meters and lots of other stuff. Miss my IFR Spectrum Analyzer.

Back