What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bore Scope Recommendations

rkiefer2

Well Known Member
Looking for a recommendation on a good bore scope for inspecting my 912ULS.

Let me know what you recommend.

Zillions threads on VAF… please use a standard search tool.
Almost everyday sees a new, cheaper, and better, scope. Good luck.

PS
Forget the Vividia 400… good yesterday. Today’s another day ;)

Zillions threads on VAF… please use a standard search tool.
Recommended: site-specific google search - site:vansairforce.net search item
Forget the Vividia 400… good yesterday. Today’s another day ;)
Of course that's what I have. Good scope but yeah, it seems that other, better ones are showing up now, and for less money. Ah well.

... brake lining wear with wheel pants on...

Now that's something I never thought of when I had the RV8 with wheel pants. Living on a grass runway I never thought about brake pad wear but when I wanted to check I always ended up removing the wheel pants, but that meant a few dozen screws.

Recommended: site-specific google search - site:vansairforce.net search item

For some reason, I often get more results if I use a wildcard for the TLD, which means it will search vansairforce.com and vansairforce.net:

site:vansairforce.* search item

Borescope uses

I use this one for all types of inspections, pistons through the spark plug hole, brake lining wear with wheel pants on, back side of fuel tank bulkhead going in from the tail cone.
https://a.co/d/6W3YhM2

Now that I'm almost finished with Condition Inspection (of course) one of the borescopes would have been handy for getting a look at fasteners, connectors, and hose connections in the many tight places that are hard to see even with an inspection mirror. Next year! On the other hand, why wait?

I use this one for all types of inspections, pistons through the spark plug hole, brake lining wear with wheel pants on, back side of fuel tank bulkhead going in from the tail cone.
https://a.co/d/6W3YhM2

Looking to the medical field and how they have advanced with the use of imaging, similar technics could be used to perform noninvasive (other than inserting the camera into strategic places) condition inspections.

I just want to say that this thread warms my heart. Thank you for not calling it a "boroscope" :) For some reason that's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

And post #10 correctly called it a condition inspection, not the erroneous "conditional" inspection.

All is well at VAF tonight.

I have both the 400 and 450. Got the 450 because of the smaller diameter tip. Don't use or like the 450.
I end up using the 400 most of the time. The camera button has never worked so have to touch the ipad to take a picture.
It takes OK pictures but not perfect.
Art

I just want to say that this thread warms my heart. Thank you for not calling it a "boroscope" :) For some reason that's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

And post #10 correctly called it a condition inspection, not the erroneous "conditional" inspection.

All is well at VAF tonight.

Yup, and it's not an "Annual Inspection" either. We need to certify that our craft are in condition for safe operation about once a year (check language in your op lims). Actually once per almost 13 months since we can "round up" to the end of the 12th calendar month from our last Condition Inspection. BTW: There is at least one other thread about the exact required language and I do not recall "who wins" if the latest regulation language is worded differently from the original log book entry. Follow up...enter "site:vansairforce op lims" for the answer which in a nutshell is to use your op lims language unless/until you update your op lims thru a FSDO or DAR.

Last edited:
Back