What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BOM for flight instruments

There is a builder in Mojave who built a twin-engine of Burt Rutan design. He has the similar unit as you are thinking. He parks outside the ramp so after each landing, he removes the BOM and stores it inside his flight bag to prevent it from being stolen. Before each flight he reinstalls it to the tie down location. Personally I like to have all of my avionics inside the plane, with minimal handling, or being dropped in the middle of a flight. I only have the basic daytime VFR setup to keep the cost down.

I have tested the BOM and several other remote, Bluetooth instrumentation packages, and while the concept is tremendously attractive, the execution is buggy - often just in the stability of the BlueTooth connection. I have had them disconnect in flight while testing, and had to land in order to sort them out. But I wasn’t flying by them - the airplane had its own instrumentation.

I’d only use one as primary of I could easily fly the airplane on many mission without any instruments at all.

Paul

Makes sense Paul,
I don't need to spend too much more to have my adahrs linked to my Advanced flight system 5600.
I probably need to slow down because once its in the hanger, updating the panel will be a pain. Right now its 25 feet from me...
I am just excited about getting it airborne sooner than later but my hanger will be 50 minutes from my home sadly.
Karee

I have tested the BOM and several other remote, Bluetooth instrumentation packages, and while the concept is tremendously attractive, the execution is buggy - often just in the stability of the BlueTooth connection. I have had them disconnect in flight while testing, and had to land in order to sort them out. But I wasn’t flying by them - the airplane had its own instrumentation.

I’d only use one as primary of I could easily fly the airplane on many mission without any instruments at all.

Paul

For the cost of BOM we can get you good pair of EFISes or for little more complete touch EFIS + EMS ;)
I have nothing against iPads of all kinds as a backup source of information - ForeFlight is a great example, however for primary use it is safer to have an instrument, designed for aircraft, in the panel. Just my thoughts.

Back