What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blue Mountain EFIS/G3 Lite

Doubt it

Since they are not shipping, it is not likely anyone is using it.
I rec's an e-mail this morining to now expect a delay into Feb. :confused: :mad:

I ordered two EFIS LITE G3s in early September and still have not received them. So far next Monday seems to be the most popular shipping date, since I have been told that on numerous occasions. Yesterday, they told me that they have begun shipping this week. (2/1 & 2/2) We'll see. One thing though, using their LITE's, you can save a lot of panel space and get a lot of information, especially since they have the GPS built in. I'll let you know my opinion when I finally receive the units.

BM EFIS better than Dynon?

Have you guys seen the BM in direct sunlight? I saw a couple of RVs at the SWRFI last year and both guys complained about not being able to read the screen on the Dynon in direct sunlight....then, the sun came out and boy were they right! Just wondered how the BM EFIS compared.
Thanks.....

I have a DYNON in two A/C, and havn,t seen a problem with sunlight. Could be N.E. Ohio though. The few days of bright sun light, I'm usually looking out side to see what it is.

Gary

Dynon in sunlight

The BMA units certainly have nice, bright displays (I flew the first Lite units nearly three years ago). However, the Dynon display, while not as bright as the BMA displays, is certainly satisfactory as long as the unit is mounted in front of the pilot.

Where the Dynon display struggles is "off center" viewing. If you look at the Dynon EFIS at an angle in bright sunlight (from the passenger seat in an RV-6 when the EFIS is mounted directly in front of the pilot) the display will appear much dimmer than when viewed head on. This characteristic may be responsible for some of the comments I have heard about dim Dynon displays; I have noticed this occuring when I fire up the unit for demonstration at an airshow and somebody looks at the Dynon while standing outside the aircraft. The viewing angle certainly makes the Dynon look a lot dimmer than it would for the pilot sitting in front of the display.

I think, after 150 hrs with the Dynon, that the display is very adequate for use in bright sunlight under our big RV canopies.

Sam Buchanan
http://thervjournal.com

Sounds right to me. Both of mine are in C/L aircraft, so I'm looking straight on.

In the RV-4 it keeps up with about anything I do to it. In the Ultimate it gets scrambled often, but at about 400' per second so do I.

Gary

I finally received my G3 EFIS from BMA. They really look nice and are very bright. I don't think there will be a problem with the sunlight in the cockpit. I think they look nicer than Dynon and the GPS map looks good, too. Here's a picture of the installation:

Dynon D10

Gary and Sam Buchanon: Thanks for your posts. Sounds as though you both have some sig. experience with the Dynon. Do you think it's a good display in terms of reliability and integration of the ASI, Altitude, Hdg info etc? I've tried mine in battery mode (no pitot-static inputs) in the glove compartment of our Lance and loved the way the display worked there; the screen is larger than the usual AI and seemed to catch my eye better. My Pitts can scramble it but it's nice to hear the RV-4 usually doesn't. Would love to hear your thoughts. I got my Dynon a year ago when I was too optimistic about when the RV-8 would be done - my builder, me, is a little slow! It seems a nice size for the smaller panel of the 8; I'll have steam gauges for Alt, ASI, ROC, TC and VS. Would you guys feel comfortable with this setup, a Tru Trak and standby hand held GPS (also GNS 430, SL30, GTX 330)? Thanks again. Bill Dicus

Last edited:
Dynon D10

Gary and Sam Buchanon: Thanks for your posts. Sounds as though you both have some sig. experience with the Dynon. Do you think it's a good display in terms of reliability and integration of the ASI, Altitude, Hdg info etc?

Bill, the Dynon has worked very nicely in my RV-6. Keep in mind I do not fly my plane in IMC (I am rated, however) so my opinions need to qualified by my VFR flight observations. The display seems to be pretty standard as EFII go, and I haven't seen much that I would change. I think the newest Dynon has slightly different fonts and that is a good update.

I've tried mine in battery mode (no pitot-static inputs) in the glove compartment of our Lance and loved the way the display worked there; the screen is larger than the usual AI and seemed to catch my eye better. My Pitts can scramble it but it's nice to hear the RV-4 usually doesn't. Would love to hear your thoughts. I got my Dynon a year ago when I was too optimistic about when the RV-8 would be done - my builder, me, is a little slow! It seems a nice size for the smaller panel of the 8; I'll have steam gauges for Alt, ASI, ROC, TC and VS. Would you guys feel comfortable with this setup, a Tru Trak and standby hand held GPS (also GNS 430, SL30, GTX 330)? Thanks again. Bill Dicus

Good grief, with all that stuff in the panel......why do you need the Dynon?? You have back-ups with back-ups. :D However, you didn't the mission profile of your plane or your flight experience so maybe what you have is prudent.

The backup for my Dynon consists of a Rocky Mtn uEncoder, an EZ-Pilot wing leveler, and an AlTrak altitude hold. That's it. So I guess I would consider your panel to be adequately equipped........ ;)

Sam Buchanan

Dynon

Sam: Thanks for your reply. My missions include local sport, acro and sightseeing - just fun - and also x-c's at 8-12000 feet if winds are OK (in IMC if necessary). We have flown all over the US, Bahamas, some in Canada and Mexico. Hope to do even more with the RV. Am willing to make approaches to near minimums if escapes are available and night I've done a lot, although advancing age brings more caution. My experience is about 6000 hours with a lot of acro in Pitts, X-C in Commanche, Lance and others. Years ago had some great jet time in the USAF (just as a flight surgeon). A fair amount of actual IFR. Comm & CFI. The Dynon is my only primary attitude reference which gives actual pitch info. It's nice to hear you like your Dynon. Thanks much. Bill

Last edited:
Am I ever ever gonna get my EFIS LITE?

Anybody else haveing such a huge problem getting their unit? I ordered in the beginning of Dec. Do they only deliver to those who are screaming? They promised my friend's 18,000 dollar EFIS ONE, in 14 days, took 3 months. Promised his autopilot ( $3000) to be shipped on April 4'th, but as of 11'th, was not shipped, even though he paid an extra 50 bucks for overnight delivery.
Hang around their booth at Sun N Fun on April 13, and watch for the fireworks as I "converse" with them.

Am I ever ever gonna get my EFIS LITE?

glenmthompson said:
Anybody else haveing such a huge problem getting their unit? I ordered in the beginning of Dec. Do they only deliver to those who are screaming? They promised my friend's 18,000 dollar EFIS ONE, in 14 days, took 3 months. Promised his autopilot ( $3000) to be shipped on April 4'th, but as of 11'th, was not shipped, even though he paid an extra 50 bucks for overnight delivery.
Hang around their booth at Sun N Fun on April 13, and watch for the fireworks as I "converse" with them.

Here's one for you: I ordered THREE (3) EFIS Lites and THREE (3) A/Ps at Oshkosh 2004 for me and two friends........

Two weeks ago, I FINALLY received (1) EFIS G3 and (1) A/P.

I've been 'promised' more times than I can count. I also know for a fact that a friend of mine ordered a G3 less than 2 months ago and he has his...

Please mention my name when you're there Glen, Rosie :mad:

Well, you could do like a lot of their other "customers" and get a refund, then order GRT units (I've dealt with a good number of people who've gotten so frustrated they've finally gone this route). Plus, GRT has announced their "Sport" version which is a BMA killer....cheaper, nicer, bigger, etc...

Plus, you get to deal with a company that has a good track record for delivering products, great customer service, and great products.

The GRT stuff does have a lead time, but at least it gets delivered!

Just my 2 cents as usual. I'm in no position to sling mud here, only report the facts that I've personally dealt with.

Cheers,
Stein

Rosie said:
Here's one for you: I ordered THREE (3) EFIS Lites and THREE (3) A/Ps at Oshkosh 2004 for me and two friends........

Two weeks ago, I FINALLY received (1) EFIS G3 and (1) A/P.

I've been 'promised' more times than I can count. I also know for a fact that a friend of mine ordered a G3 less than 2 months ago and he has his...

Please mention my name when you're there Glen, Rosie :mad:

Boy..you'd think of all the people they'd like to get a unit to, you'd be the first! I mean, you're plane has just a "LITTLE" bit of exposure in the experimental world. I guess with the piddly amount of flying you do, they figure you wouldn't be a good showcase customer. Much more important to get those units to people who aren't even flying!

Once again, I apologize for the sarcasm, but if Paul ordered something from me, I'd probably steal from my mother to get something in his plane! Then again, my view of marketing is a bit different, as I actually depend on good word of mouth instead of spending thousands of $$'s advertising in magazines!

Cheers,
Stein.

BMA experience

Couldn't agree more Stein. I would give Rosie stuff to put in his plane for market exposure if I was a manufacturer.

After talking with BMA at S&F and OSH last year regarding lead times and such; I came away with a less than impressed outlook. I was treated like a second class citizen when I asked my many questions at the BMA booth before I plunked down my hard earned cash. My non-pilot friend was also amazed at the condescending, demi-god attitude displayed by the owner. Must have been a bad hair day for him or something.

Consequently, I ordered Dynon, and Trutrak and have been treated very well since. Both units are in my plane and have been for awhile now. The GRT folks were up there with Dynon and Trutrak when I talked at length with them. Also, you'll notice that Spaceship One uses a dynon as back-up. The Global Flyer uses Trutrak. Hmmmmm, makes one wonder if they enjoy good customer service as well.

Blue skies,

Jeff

Thanks for the kind words Stein and Jeff...I guess I'm too nice as I haven't complained LOUDLY yet but need too...Rosie :mad:

g3 BOARD DOWN, units still delayed

Couple of other items.
Im still waiting on one from December and they have my deposit.
ALso their discussion board has been down for 10 days which is an unerving sign right before SnF.
Kahuna

Kahuna said:
Couple of other items.
Im still waiting on one from December and they have my deposit.
ALso their discussion board has been down for 10 days which is an unerving sign right before SnF.
Kahuna

You might check for problems on your own computer because the BM discussion boards come up just fine with posts showing up to yesterday (I just checked).

I don't frequent them anymore, however, because I've decided to go another way due to reasons others have already described here.

in the name of balance

Just in the name of balance .

My experience with BMA has been very good, I placed my order last april and received the delivery of the lite and efis 1 very promptly. They were very helpful and cooperative and the whole transaction was completed on the phone and by email.

I am in Australia and found during an extended bench test that there may have been an intermittant problem with one of the magnetometers it was immediately replaced upfront before I had to return mine.

Just my experience.

I wish I could build my plane as quick as they built my order cos it's going to be a year before I get airbourne.

Peter

Back