What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Big week- AEA class + 1st stick time in an RV...wow!

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
I didn't get to work on the project last week, but it was a milestone week for a couple of reasons nonetheless;

I took the AEA class in Kansas City and now somewhat understand what a canbus is and how the heck you wire one up. 3 full days of class, lots of theory and book time, but also lots of hands on. Everybody got to build a 4 component wire bundle from scratch, including wringing it out and diagnostics on the G3X.

Garmin also came in and went through their pricing guide and and answer questions regarding; If I want to do XYZ, what exactly do I need to buy?

Can't say enough good things about this class, or about the instructor, Levi Self, who also owns an avionics shop in Lee's Summit Missouri. It was well worth the cost.

I'm one of those guys with more enthusiasm than common sense, because I made the decision to build an RV7 without ever even sitting in one. While I was there, one of my classmates kindly took me up in his RV7a and let me fly it for a while. 10 seconds in, I was happy to know that I had made the right choice.

However, I'm now officially in dangerous territory with the checkbook. I set out to build an IFR cruiser with a nice stack, decent interior, but not a bunch of other gee whiz stuff. But...he had the Super Tracks mod, the Almost a 14 mod and a Thunderbolt 390. Of course I now want it all. Engine vibration? What's that? 2000fpm climb rate and 150 kias cruise at 3,000 MSL on 9 gph? No problem. Yes please, I'll have what the gentleman being pushed back in the pilot seat is having.

I know I'm not saying anything that most of you guys don't already know, but if you're lurking on this forum, wondering if all the hype is real, you really owe it to yourself to beg borrow or steal an RV ride. Like the title says...Wow

Keith, thanks for letting me fly your airplane!

If you want an IFR cruiser, you should get a flight in an RV-9A. More docile handling (appropriate for IFR) but a little slower.

I bought an RV-9A for that mission instead of a -7A.

Ed

Back