What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BEWARE - bad rivets under your paint!

FulltronAviation

Custom RV painting by Fulltron
Advertiser
Do not assume that the pretty paint job on the RV you just bought, or are in the process of buying, represents the aircraft build quality that's hidden from view. This photo was taken of bad rivets found on a horizontal stabilizer, after the paint had been chemically stripped, prior to us repainting it with the new owners custom paint design. Our customer was not the original builder of this aircraft, and needless to say, he was not a happy camper. Our staff has built nine experimental aircraft ourselves, including four RV's, so we were able to fix this issue. But buyer beware! Most RV's are built with awesome build quality, but some builders out there cover up poor build quality with paint.

I am just guessing as to what actually caused this, but apparently, there were some rivets protruding above the skin. And instead of drilling out the bad rivets and replacing them correctly, whoever painted this plane decided to just sand these rivets down flush with the skin. And whoever did this, did not use a small piece of fine grit sandpaper, but instead used a large piece of rough grit sandpaper, and probably a power sander as well. In the photo you can clearly see large scratch marks over the entire skin surface, not just around these two rivets. It appeared to me as if whoever sanded these rivet heads completely off then covered them over with Bondo (or some similar material). When we chemically stripped the horizontal stabilizer, and the Bondo was removed, the rivet heads stood out like a sore thumb. You can't tell it from a still photo, but if you press your finger down the skin flexes around these rivets, and the rivets are not holding onto the skin at all in the area around these rivets. You can also notice a small piece of Bondo (or whatever material was used) still remaining in a dent between those two headless rivets. So a section of horizontal stabilizer skin was not properly attached to the underlying structure. Buyer beware! If you're considering buying an already built RV, DO NOT assume that if you cannot see any visible damage, or poor build quality, and it has been painted, DO NOT assume that you are looking at a well-built RV. Make sure that you have a very experienced RV expert do an extremely thorough pre-buy inspection. As the old saying goes: What do used car salesmen do after the retire? They start selling airplanes...

Attachments

• bad rivets FULLTRON.jpg
    bad rivets FULLTRON.jpg
    963.7 KB · Views: 473
I imagine these would be hidden a lot more with those wrapped plane. Unless the head of these rivets were covered by bondo, one would think they would have shown thru the paint.

Good advice here.

Exactly

That's what we thought. When we saw these sanded off rivet heads, we coukd only wonder what else was not visible inside this plane. Dan

Anytime you can't clearly see the rivet heads under the paint you just don't know what is underneath. If you had to cover it with bondo that isn't a good sign.

Last edited:
I've driven 30,0000-35,000 rivets, and this made me sick to see this

After building both an RV-12 and RV-14 myself, and having driven many many tens of thousands of rivets, I was sick to my stomach after our shop manager showed me this. Seeing what somebody would do to an airplane and pass it off as no damage history is past my comprehension. IF you know of anybody planning on buying an RV secondhand, and they can get it to 3DW (Springfield, MO) for a really thorough RV pre-purchase inspection let me know. We might be able to work it in. There a several experienced RV'ers around the country who can do a really good pre-buy for YOU. Just make sure you get a real RV person that will look out for YOU, not the seller. Dan

Worse Than That - True Story!

About 30 years ago (give or take) a California Highway Patrol C-185 went into a paint shop in Paso Robles (CA) for a refinish. In the "stripping" process, RA sanders were used on the wings - oops, AN470's there, not 426's!

When the dust settled, those areas as "attacked" were no longer airworthy - at least until repairs could be undertaken.

Sometimes you don't get what you (think you) paid for!

YMMV - but I hope not in this way.

HFS

Back