What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beringer Brake Kit: Bulkhead Fittings Compatibility Issue

grayforge

Well Known Member
I initially mentioned these concerns in another thread. Now that I've heard back from Beringer and they confirmed my suspicions, I figured it deserves its own thread.

I like to double check things before assembling. Call me a second guesser. After hearing that Beringer brake kits have metric fittings, I checked for myself. While the banjo fittings may be metric, the hose fittings look to be -3 AN. However, the supplied bulkhead fittings are 45 degree (automotive) vs 37 degree for AN.

After a few email conversations with Beringer, some tests and photographs escalated the issue to Claire who quickly responded that this is indeed an issue and thanked me for bringing it to their attention. They are already sending me replacement bulkhead fittings. It'd be a good idea for those with Beringer brakes to check their bulkhead fittings. I bought my kit shortly after Oshkosh 2014.

Here's the testing info I sent them to demonstrate the incompatibility:

Freshly colored (with Sharpie) supplied 45 degree bulkhead fitting:
45_before.jpg

After connecting it to one of Beringer's 37 degree -3 AN hose end fittings. Note that they contacted only at a thin line.
45_after.jpg

Here's a proper 37 degree fitting showing that it contacted along the whole area:
37_after.jpg

And finally, a diagram showing the issue with using a 45 degree fitting with a 37 degree fitting:
Fitting_Drawing.jpg

Update on this issue:

I received the replacement bulkhead fittings in May... They were slightly different looking than the originals, but interestingly, they were also incorrect: 45 degree, automotive fittings.

So Beringer contacted the manufacturer to have them build proper fittings. Luckily, I'm not at the stage where I need these, as I'm still waiting.

Everyone should check their bulkhead fittings to see whether they are the incorrect part or not.

Regards,
Russ

Which bulkhead fittings are these? The ones that go from the fuse to the outside of the airplane?

Beringer fittings compatability

Reviving this thread. I am working in installing a Beringer kit into an RV7A and am puzzled by some of the fittings, they appear to be 45 degree flares. Within Beringer's own ecosystem this seems okay but the hoses interface with AN fittings for the brake reservoir (no pressure not that worried here) but also the AN bulkhead fittings for the fuselage pass-through. The only possible solution seems to be to bypass the bulkhead fitting and perhaps just run the hose through a grommet. Anybody else come across this recently?
Thanks

Doug, what area are you talking about---the firewall/reservoir and what reservoir, or the bulkheads at the main gear?
Simple solution is to use the Vans reservoir, and an AN826-3D tee----3 because the Beringer hoses (and ours) are -3 to be able to use the 10MM banjo fittings for the master cylinders and the calipers. Use -3 hose ends for the reservoir to master cylinder hoses. At the Main gear bulkheads, assuming that you are using the Beringer hose and fittings, use a -3 to -4 Reusable hose end at the bulkhead fitting.

If you want pics----email me at [email protected]

Tom

Beringer fittings

Reviving this thread. I am working in installing a Beringer kit into an RV7A and am puzzled by some of the fittings, they appear to be 45 degree flares. Within Beringer's own ecosystem this seems okay but the hoses interface with AN fittings for the brake reservoir (no pressure not that worried here) but also the AN bulkhead fittings for the fuselage pass-through. The only possible solution seems to be to bypass the bulkhead fitting and perhaps just run the hose through a grommet. Anybody else come across this recently?
Thanks

I used the Vans reservoir and purchased the "T" from Beringer to connect the two lines. My hoses run from parking brake all the way to the wheel. No fittings in between. Passed through snap bushings near the gear towers.

This just happens to be from our RV14A cabin mockup, but its the same as the 7/9 & 10 reservoir plumbing. AN826-3D tee, with a -3 straight and -3 90* hose ends on -3 hoses, with our stainless banjo hose ends on the master cylinders.

Tom

Attachments

• reservoir hoses and tee.jpg
    reservoir hoses and tee.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 45
  • master cylinder hoses.jpg
    master cylinder hoses.jpg
    603 KB · Views: 47
Back