What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

bare wire connections on 796

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I purchased a bare wire connecting kit for my 796 from Garmin. I have the wire functions diagram but would like some clarification before I burn things up. I'm looking to connect the aural alerts from the GPS to my Skyview intercom (SV-COM) . I have the pin identified in the intercom but am unsure how to connect the wires in the bare wire connections. I have the following wires;

Red --- Power
Black --- Power ground/data ground
Blue --- TX1 data out
Yellow --- RX1 data in
Orange--- TX2 data out
Purple --- RX2 data in
White --- Audio right
Brown --- Audio left
Green --- audio common

I know what the first six are for, well I'm not sure what the data ins are for but probably I do not need them. Do I just use one of the audio right or left?
Thanks Ron

Thanks Joe
I guess whereas I have no plans on obtaining Sirus music I was thinking the music inputs (in intercom)were just for that, but I guess the aural alerts come in thru the same place. I would have thought the music inputs would be muted when receiving communications?
Ron

...I'm not sure what the data ins are for but probably I do not need them....

As an example of their use, I use one of the IN's to get the flight plan from my 430W. That way I only have to load/select the plan in the 430 and also get it on the 796. That then lets me have the 796 dump the flight plan frequencies to my SL-30 so they are nominated when I press SEL.

I would have thought the music inputs would be muted when receiving communications?
That is correct.
You could ask on the Dynon forum if there is a better way to connect GPS audio to the Skyview intercom.

Back