What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ball bearing bellcrank replacement

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Looking for a pirep on these please.

Attachments

• IMG_1378.jpg
    IMG_1378.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 123
Nice? Sure….

Needed? Not really….. we don’t have them on any of our RV’s (they didn’t exist when they were built) and all the airplanes handle great - the RV-3 is the most delightful of all the airplanes we fly.

If you sit in a bunch of RV’s at a fly-in and move the controls around, I bet you’d have a tough time figuring out which had these kind of bearings, and which ones had the bronze bushings that were just fit nicely….

But they certainly won’t hurt to have them (except for added cost and time - if those make a difference).

Paul

Mine were red, but the same design. Great team at sky designs.

Anytime you can have ball bearings vs bushings, seems to be a win. Some might say why, but then why do anything above and beyond?

Attachments

• IMG_6516.jpeg
    IMG_6516.jpeg
    599.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Nice? Sure….

Needed? Not really….. we don’t have them on any of our RV’s (they didn’t exist when they were built) and all the airplanes handle great - the RV-3 is the most delightful of all the airplanes we fly.

If you sit in a bunch of RV’s at a fly-in and move the controls around, I bet you’d have a tough time figuring out which had these kind of bearings, and which ones had the bronze bushings that were just fit nicely….

But they certainly won’t hurt to have them (except for added cost and time - if those make a difference).

Paul

Valid points. Probably cannot tell on RV’s. Somethings I see and just like the design and the people that design them. This is one of them. I got everything Ken & Susan offer. Great folks
Tough to beat the RV3

I wish they'd offer an improved bearing setup for the base of the control sticks... that's where it takes a lot of fiddling to get all the play out of the bronze bushing setup, and even then many RVs have a little bit of slop in the pitch axis. By comparison, the aileron bellcrank upgrade seems like it would offer less tangible benefit.

I wish they'd offer an improved bearing setup for the base of the control sticks... that's where it takes a lot of fiddling to get all the play out of the bronze bushing setup, and even then many RVs have a little bit of slop in the pitch axis. By comparison, the aileron bellcrank upgrade seems like it would offer less tangible benefit.

Agreed.

Get on it Ken!

Although I have some play, you can’t feel it in flight. I probably wouldn’t retrofit my airplane, but if it was new, I would certainly do this.

Last edited:
Maintainability is also a factor as the ball bearings used on the Sky Designs upgrade are sealed and do not need to be lubed. While it is relatively easy to "spray-lube" the bronze bushings at the stick bases, getting at the bronze bushings on the aileron bellcranks is a real challenge and, even then, one has to wonder how much lubrication actually ends-up between the bronze bushing and steel bellcrank.

The aileron bellcranks on early RV-3's and all RV-4's & RV-6's rotate on ball bearings so really nothing new...just sticking with what worked so well on those "legacy" planes. :)

The RV-14 design incorporates the very thing Matt mentioned - ball bearings at the bases of the control sticks. See photo.

As 2theskyy so succinctly said, "Anytime you can have ball bearings vs bushings, seems to be a win."

Attachments

• ball bearing stick base.jpg
    ball bearing stick base.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 77
Bolt short?

Mine were red, but the same design. Great team at sky designs.

Anytime you can have ball bearings vs bushings, seems to be a win. Some might say why, but then why do anything above and beyond?

Does this bolt look a little short?

Attachments

• IMG_2031.jpeg
    IMG_2031.jpeg
    13.7 KB · Views: 183
Back