What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Backup GPS options ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
My G3x is the primary navigator in my new RV4 VFR. Ifly 740 was my primary navigator with iphone backup in my RV3 (sold).
Assuming the use of garmin database on the G3x, what are my options for backup. Do I need to maintain 2 separate subscription to know where I am ?

Larry,

Since you have a single GDU 460 display, one option is to replace the GDU 460 with two GDU 470 displays - both of which use the same database subscription.

As you know, every G3X/G3X Touch display has a built-in WAAS GPS receiver, so all you have to do is add an antenna to any display and it becomes a fully capable backup VFR navigator which is also capable of driving the autopilot should the PFD1 display become unavailable.

Steve

If you want a portable GPS as the backup - the Garmin Aera series can share a pilot pak database subscription with the G3X and any other Garmin equipment.

If you want a portable GPS as the backup - the Garmin Aera series can share a pilot pak database subscription with the G3X and any other Garmin equipment.
Or, do the Aera 660/760 and just do a once a year database update for 30 bucks a pop. If it’s a backup navigator, there’s no real need for another expensive subscription.

Or, do the Aera 660/760 and just do a once a year database update for 30 bucks a pop. If it’s a backup navigator, there’s no real need for another expensive subscription.

That's entirely true, I forgot he said VFR, I always default IFR.....

Backup GPS hardware you could add a:
Garmin G5 - has a built in GPS receiver, believe this will share its GPS data with you G3X if its internal GPS fails.

Garmin GPS20 - GPS position source typically connected to a transponder, again G3X can use the as primary or backup GPS source.

Note neither of these LRUs will give you a mapping function, they sill give you GPS data though in the event of a GPS hardware or antenna failure of the G3X.

Back