What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aymar-DeMuth Prop

mg@nd

I'm New Here
I'm awaiting log books on an 18 yr old RV for sale (located in the coastal NE) and it has the A-D Prop matched to an O-360 but no log book on the prop.

Understand the company is long out of business. TTAF and Engine are only about 200 hrs. Can an RV-smart A&P @ the pre-buy tell me if the prop is serviceable and safe OR do I need a prop expert?

Have read generally good reports (although they're dated) on the forum on the A-D but have never flown behind a wood propeller. Appreciate your thoughts!

Aymar Demuth made good props, but a visual inspection is always a good idea.

Look for cracks and/or failed glue joints. Also check the condition of the finish-if it is poor, you can refinish it yourself or have one of the current wood prop manufacturers refinish it for you.

I had in one in my 180 HP RV4. Zero regrets. 206+ mph at 9000+ ft, 1700 fpm roc out of 1500 DA and at 10,000 it was still going up 1000 fpm. Easy to maintain. Throttle back in the rain.

Tim

Amar Demuth props are awesome! Retorque it after 5 hours, then 25 hours, then again every 6 months, or whenever the humidity (seasons) change.

I have an AD prop on my O320 RV6. Flat out I get good speeds, with just me on board and a colder day (isa+0) I get about 167kt ias, sometimes around 170 at low level, full throttle. Rate of climb with just me is around 1500fpm with full tanks, or 1700fpm initially with half tanks. A few days ago I was climbing 130kt at 1000fpm. I will change for a CS prop but not for another wood prop.

I will 2nd this as well as my cruise climb at 140 mph was 1000 fpm. This is better than the top speed of a lot of certified aircraft.

Tim

Back