What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avmap Ultra

Capt

Well Known Member
Hi guys. Anyone here have the Avmap Ultra installed in their plane?
I’ve just fitted two new units but one will not calibrate the compass, tried everything they suggest to no avail, other unit worked straight up!
I suspect I’ve got a faulty unit…..grrrrrrr

AvMap

Hi guys. Anyone here have the Avmap Ultra installed in their plane?
I’ve just fitted two new units but one will not calibrate the compass, tried everything they suggest to no avail, other unit worked straight up!
I suspect I’ve got a faulty unit…..grrrrrrr

Yes, I have one and yes, the calibration does not work, but it tries. The problem is the roll bar in my RV9A is slightly magnetized, from welding it originally, i am sure. I had a large and heavy demagnitizer and got most of it gone and the AvMap did complete the calibration and that point but it is still ifffy. You can check for magnetized stuff with a hand compass in around your panel.

Be aware that Ipads have magnets in them.

I have an AvMap as a backup and it's a disappointment. It is glitchy unit and I wish I never spent money on it. The warranty has run out and I am thinking of swapping it out for a Garmin G5.

AvMap

I have an AvMap as a backup and it's a disappointment. It is glitchy unit and I wish I never spent money on it. The warranty has run out and I am thinking of swapping it out for a Garmin G5.

While I have issues with my compass function on my AvMap, It works very well in all other functions, It is a great GPS vav backup, Attitude indicator, Airspeed, GPS heading, Altitude, etc. For the price it is quite good as a backup instrument,
Ed

AvMap Ultra thumbs-up

I've been using the AvMap Ultra in my RV-3 for over 600 flight hours in 4 1/2 years now and found it to be very dependable and full of features as described by edclee. In addition the screen visibility in direct sunlight is outstanding.

I've not even tried to calibrate the compass since the whiskey compass in the panel was completely useless due magnetized steel parts in the panel frame as mentioned earlier.

The Jeppsen data base and NMEA output are great features as well.

All in all, lots of bang for the buck ($875 in 2018)

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the experiences. I now wish I hadn’t have bought them, should have spent the extra for a proper EFIS setup like Garmin.
I’ve been in contact with the manufacturer but thus far they’ve not helped much other than to say follow the installation guide etc, which I obviously have!
The perplexing issue is that one unit works fine, the other just won’t recognise the Mag enable which is part of the set up and calibration process.

Oh my kingdom for a decent product :mad:

Back