What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AutoPilot Scary Incident

RESOLUTION:

OK, I heard back from Garmin after they reviewed all my data. Basically they said - Where on earth did you get 15% as a roll servo torque and proceeded to explain how to set up the AP and referred me to Appendix A for a full description. According to Appendix A, the torque should be set to the maximum acceptable torque value...meaning to me, it should be pretty hard to disconnect the AP by moving the stick.

As I've said before, I don't know how a 15% torque value got in there. The bottom line to me is...the AP is a very important system and should be reviewed after software updates to make sure nothing changed or that a fat finger mistake wasn't made.

Thank you G3xperts for reviewing my data and getting back to me so quickly. Garmin tech support is the best (y)

Edit: The G3X team told me that 15% torque is the default setting. My guess is that it got set to 15% during one of the software updates and I didn’t restore from my backup config file.

Last edited:
EDIT: My recent instrument upset training for my IPC for a nose low turn was - level the wings while raising the nose. No power adjustments.
The whole point of upset training is to develop reflexes for bad things. If the nose is really low, pulling power to idle while leveling the wings takes no extra time, but will gain you precious seconds before going past Vne. That’s the reflex you want to learn.

RESOLUTION:

OK, I heard back from Garmin after they reviewed all my data. Basically they said - Where on earth did you get 15% as a roll servo torque and proceeded to explain how to set up the AP and referred me to Appendix A for a full description. According to Appendix A, the torque should be set to the maximum acceptable torque value...meaning to me, it should be pretty hard to disconnect the AP by moving the stick.

As I've said before, I don't know how a 15% torque value got in there. The bottom line to me is...the AP is a very important system and should be reviewed after software updates to make sure nothing changed or that a fat finger mistake wasn't made.

Thank you G3xperts for reviewing my data and getting back to me so quickly. Garmin tech support is the best (y)
Glad it's getting sorted. This is very timely to me since I'm in phase 1 and have the autopilot setup in my future. Thanks for posting the whole situation, including the resolution.

Back