What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attaching tailcone to main fuselage on a -12

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Mornin’ guys. I’m at the point of attaching my tailcone to the fuselage and was curious how you guys decided to go ahead with this. The static lines are in as are the strings for the elevator and rudder cables (as per plans) The gas tank is in and the lines have been checked and the engine run (UL power). What else do In Ed to check/perform before mating the two?

Thanks in advance,

Mornin’ guys. I’m at the point of attaching my tailcone to the fuselage and was curious how you guys decided to go ahead with this. The static lines are in as are the strings for the elevator and rudder cables (as per plans) The gas tank is in and the lines have been checked and the engine un (UL power). What else do In Ed to check/perform before mating the two?

Thanks in advance,
A lot of builders (including the guys at the SLSA factory assembly shop), fit the wings and do the match drilling of the flapperon torque tubes before the tail cone gets installed.
That's the one main thing.

We waited until the very end before permanently attaching the tail. I really liked being able to check the fuel pump plumbing(12iS) for leaks; it is way easier to fix that before the tail goes on. Maybe for doing the canopy assembly, cleco the tail on? And when you do put it on permanently, support the tail when attaching control cables so the tail doesn’t drop.

We waited until the very end before permanently attaching the tail. I really liked being able to check the fuel pump plumbing(12iS) for leaks; it is way easier to fix that before the tail goes on. Maybe for doing the canopy assembly, cleco the tail on? And when you do put it on permanently, support the tail when attaching control cables so the tail doesn’t drop.
Not sure the plumbing and the pumps are the same for a UL Power install. Would be curious about the differences.

Not sure the plumbing and the pumps are the same for a UL Power install. Would be curious about the differences.
Hi…the UL engine uses two fuel pumps mounted on the firewall, not the small supplied pump in the rear. Fuselage. It also has a larger diameter fuel return line to the tank. It’s a fully FADEC engine….one lever operation…the throttle.

I’ve never had. A. Totally electric/voltage dependent airplane…always had mags, except my turbines, so I’ve been concerned about a power loss and the subsequent engine stoppage! Purportedly, 7 volts is all the engine electrical system needs to keep running, so you keep an eye on the battery/alternator condition carefully. The lithium-ion battery is said to last 1 1/2 hours before it goes kaput with no alternator charging. That gives me a 200 mile window to get it safely landed!…so they say….😳

Pierre, I have a UL350is going in my 12…finishing up the landing gear…I am installing a second EarthX 680 battery for a backup, in an emergency….will give an additional 45 minutes of flight time.

I guess there are some advantages to installing late but both I built, installed per plan sequence. Just have to spend some quality time sitting in baggage area. Frankly I was happy to connect tail to get it out of the way and get the satisfaction of making progress to a solid complete structure. For fitting I would not want to do canopy without tail installed and rear window in place.

Finished everything including canopy and wheel pants, filled and epoxy primed all. Even filled cowl pin holes and primed to 1” from cut lines to allow for hinge installation. May be stupid but going to finish paint so everything is complete behind firewall While waiting on my engine that was supposed to be crated November 2023. No SNF and probably Oshkosh this year with the Chapter 11 delays.

Attachments

• IMG_4459.jpeg
    IMG_4459.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
I guess there are some advantages to installing late but both I built, installed per plan sequence. Just have to spend some quality time sitting in baggage area. Frankly I was happy to connect tail to get it out of the way and get the satisfaction of making progress to a solid complete structure. For fitting I would not want to do canopy without tail installed and rear window in place.

Finished everything including canopy and wheel pants, filled and epoxy primed all. Even filled cowl pin holes and primed to 1” from cut lines to allow for hinge installation. May be stupid but going to finish paint so everything is complete behind firewall While waiting on my engine that was supposed to be crated November 2023. No SNF and probably Oshkosh this year with the Chapter 11 delays.
my engine was to be crated in November as well and now, apparently, I am on the July ship date. I would be really happy to get my main wheels NOW though.

Back