What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attach air seal fabric with screws?

vbpiper

Well Known Member
Has anyone attached the air seal fabric to the baffles with screws and large-area washers? I am about to attach the fabric and am considering using washer-head AN525 screws or regular screws and large-area washers rather than the supplied rivets. I guess the real question is: how long can I expect the fabric to last? If I need to replace it every few years, I think I will use the screws. If it lasts a long time, I will use the rivets and not worry about it.
Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Thanks.

About 4 yrs for me and the rubber baffle material is still fine. Even if I had to replace it, I'd still prefer pop rivets because they are super fast to drill out.

I considered using screws also, but in the end went with rivets. They are simple and I agree with Kevinh easy to drill out if necessary. The material will last a long time.

For what it's worth, I used #6 Tinnerman washers and AN470A-4 soft universal head rivets and it seemed to work out well. I know a universal rivet isn't designed to fit a tinnerman, but being a soft rivet, it gives enough surface area with the washer, but doesn't crush the baffle seal too much when squeezed. I figured that I'd have to drill them out at soem time in the future so I wanted to make it easy on myself.

http://adap.com/rv7/IMG_0612.jpg

Back