What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Archer VOR antenna modified for com?

GEM930

Well Known Member
Friend
Years ago I purchased and installed an Archer VOR antenna in my wing tip for my 430 install. That install never happened and now I’m installing a GNC 355 and have no need for the VOR antenna. The 355 will be connected to my typical external com antenna and has a second frequency monitoring feature, so while I don’t NEED a com 2, I have a MGL V6 as com 2/ backup/ intercom. I need to keep it mostly for the intercom. I’m not excited about adding another external antenna especially for a radio that will not get much use above monitoring 121.5. Is it possible to chop (or add) some length and use the Archer I currently have installed???

I completely realize it will not work anywhere near as well. However, it is already installed, so trying it out will not be that big of a deal, that is assuming the modification is not all that complicated. Can anyone direct me to that information? Please.

Not enough sugar for the dime IMHO to modify.

But if you want to procedure, here’s the reference you seek.

Attachments

• IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 28
You need to do two things.
1. Make it slightly shorter, to move the resonant frequency from nav (113 MHz) to com (127 MHz), or about 10%. E.g., cut about 2.5 - 3 inches off the end of the radiating element. Ideally you do this a little at a time, while monitoring the resonant frequency with an antenna analyzer, but this will be close.
2. Most important. Someone already mentioned polarization. In theory the antenna will not work at all if it’s horizontal. You want get as much vertical throw as possible in the leading edge (the diagonal part going from the ground leg on the rib, out into the wing). This is where most of the signal comes from. Since most wing tips are not symmetrical up-down, look at yours and see how to do this. I have stock -10 tips. I mounted the ground leg of the antenna to the end rib as high as I could, near the top. The leading edge of the radiating element, extending out into the tip, is bent down, until the long side is resting on the bottom of the tip.
This is not as good as an external, vertical antenna, but better than some believe. I have no problems at 20 miles. I use it mainly for atis, sometimes ground.
Edit. Also, don’t mount the antenna near the front of the tip. Mount it close to the ‘fattest’ (up-down) part of the wing, again, to maximize the vertical distance you can get.

Last edited:
Back