What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS Tracker wish list

Adjustable power in firmware

Byon (software genius) is out of town this week, but it is certainly possible to set power output based on altitude. I just don't know if the little PIC on board the Micro-Trak has enough computing power left in its tiny little brain....This would be something more within the lines of our TT4 based transceiver (still on the drawing board) which has a more advanced processor. It would be very easy to add a mechanical hi/low switch to the amplifier. As you probably have noticed, altitude is the least reliable factor provided by GPS, so there would need to be a lot of wobble room.

Allen
VHS

I like your idea! The weapons system guy within me loves the idea of providing targeting info: Range, bearing, relative velocity...
Allen
VHS

Since I don't know how this type info would interface with any display I have, just having textual range and bearing would make in-flight intercepts far simpler than today.

The last time Rick and I did this I was talking to COS ATC hoping that they would provide info on Ricks location. That did not work and with higher winds out of the north than I expected he was well past me before I gave up on COS.

It may have taken 20 minutes to catch him after that. As far as reducing "clutter" maybe an altitude limit would get rid of the cars.

Byon (software genius) is out of town this week, but it is certainly possible to set power output based on altitude. I just don't know if the little PIC on board the Micro-Trak has enough computing power left in its tiny little brain....This would be something more within the lines of our TT4 based transceiver (still on the drawing board) which has a more advanced processor. It would be very easy to add a mechanical hi/low switch to the amplifier. As you probably have noticed, altitude is the least reliable factor provided by GPS, so there would need to be a lot of wobble room.

Allen
VHS

Actually, I was going to suggest a "coyote" mode...which would shut down its signal output when the aircraft altitude is less than 1000'...

Back