Like many of you, I used a Piper pitot/static mast because it was a cheap route to a heated pitot. I soon found the static source was no good (see related threads) and added the Van's recommended static system. Recently I got the idea of using the static port on the mast for an AOA differential sensor for my Dynon D10A similar to what Mel Asberry is using. These pictures show the result. I used .125 OD 5052 aluminum tube, inserted 1" or so into the drilled out static port. JB Weld to secure it. It is bent to approximate the relative angle used by Dynon on their AOA/Pitot. A shorter tube may have been okay but I wanted to make sure it got clean air. The old static tubing was then connected to the AOA port on the D10A. It seems to work after the recommended cal procedure. I will need to fly more to confirm it. By the way, the probe is no longer heated so it won't affect the adhesive.
Last edited by a moderator: