What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone with a 9A based at 52F or Hicks?

dillonz1

Hi folks

I am considering all my options before deciding which RV I want to build, and I would sure like someone to show me the flight charicteristics of the 9A. I am willing to pay for the gas and breakfast or lunch also. I am 6' 3" and 245# and I really would like to experiance the performance of the 9 with the 160 Hp engine and my big butt in it on a 3000 K density alt day before committing the time and $$$. :confused:

PM me if you know someone willing to demo!

Mike Dillon

takeoff video

While this isn't the same as a ride like your asking for it shows exactly what your asking about. This video of a take off behind a friends Lance was shot at Gustine (3O1) in the Central Valley of California. This is the cheapest fuel in our area so I try to go there as often as possable. This video was shot right after filling the tanks, with my 6'3" 185 lb. son, and me at 6'2" and 230 lbs. The density altitude was at least 2-3K feets with temps in the area always scorching. The other one was shot a half of an hour earlier or so and is is self explanitory.

Try tracking down Clay. I think he is in the Fort Worth area and has a really nice 9A with 160hp and a 60" plasma in the panel. Okay, a Blue Mountain. Just sarcasm from a jealous steam gauge guy. If he can't take you up for some reason I'm sure he can answer all of your questions.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=7098

http://www.eaachapter.com/rv9a/index.htm

Best,

Last edited:
Bryan
Those vidios are most impressive, and yes thats what I was wondering. It seems they "leap" off the ground. I have 76 hours all in cessna 172 SP's, and as soon as it got hot here the performance of the plane went from squat to nada. I can not fathom spending that kind of money for a plane with no guts. Thanks again for the links.
Mike

Yup, call or e-mail Clay. He gave me a ride in his -9A - super nice guy - it was my first in a -9A and now I'm building!

dillonz1 -

I'm building a -9. I only have wings and tail - have just barely started. Work will accelerate once I get the AC installed in the garage.

Bryan
Boy dont I know what you mean!!! I have been working on getting mine ready in anticipation of fall getting here!! I was in denton looking at an 8a empanage and wings kit thats been for sale on Barnstormers. I was not impressed with the worrk +++ my significant other would rather sit next to me rather than behind me!!! Thats one of the reasons for going with the 9. You flying anything now??

Back