What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone 'shorted' parts from Van's?

txaviator

Well Known Member
Well, here it is the Memorial day weekend, and I was planning to jump back into the rudder and get it buttoned up. With a 9-day road trip coming up, I was hoping to get the trailing edge setting up with Pro-Seal while I am gone.

As I am about to start riveting, I am missing parts! Crucial parts! The three nutplates that are riveted on the spar for the rod-end bearings!

I did my inventory, but the parts list doesn't break down each little parts bag into the exact contents. The three nutplates I need are not here!

Dang it! :mad: An entire plan 'shot down' due to three little nutplates. Has anyone else found missing parts?

Inside the clear bag that held all my hardware bags was a list that contained the contents of each bag. Perhaps you were missing this list, but mine had a list.

My emp kit was all there, but I was missing a couple of AN fittings in my wing kit. Van's was good about sending replacements. Unfortunately, it takes them several business days to ship orders.

I know what you mean about lost time though. It can be frustrating at times.

Multitasking

The trick I've used to keep the project moving forward when I'm missing parts - almost never Van's fault - is to work on multiple parts of the project at the same time. This way my shop time is more productive, and I don't get blocked waiting for shipping.

rv8ch said:
The trick I've used to keep the project moving forward when I'm missing parts - almost never Van's fault - is to work on multiple parts of the project at the same time. This way my shop time is more productive, and I don't get blocked waiting for shipping.
I agree about it not often being Van's fault. I have "misplaced" several things so far and have ordered replacements. It wasn't until I was missing an entire bag that I had marked off as having been present during the inventory that I remembered I purchased a new set of storage drawers. They were not in the normal place of my other drawers and I finally forgot about them.
When I missed the entre bag, my somewhat fading memory was jogged and I found ALL the "missing parts".

wiping egg off face....

-Mike

Nope, I didn't misplace them, unfortunately. The bag that is supposed to contain the correct platenuts DOES include some of these, but they are microscopic (a toothpick might fit through the hole, NOT a 3/8" rod-end bearing).

ALL of my small parts were still in their respective paper sacks, with the exception of rivets. I have looked 4-5 times, and they are not here. Oh well......more building of elevator stiffeners while watching "The Deadliest Catch" (marathon) on Discovery!

I had the same thing happen.

I was looking for the nut plates for the rudder rod end bearings and keep looking at the little ones in the bag. I finally put together the -06 vs the -6 part numbers and am waiting for the new parts to arrive from Vans. I didn't see the detail inventory sheet for the bag parts either. I will definetly get one if I don't see it in the wing kit. I hope to get the new plates this week or I will get some from Aircraft Spruce to get back on track.

Tom Yeomans

RV-9 empennage
New Mexico

I have been shorted HW in the past, but to date I still have never been shorted any parts. If you look at the shear volume of parts/HW that go into a complete airplane kit, the error rate is very very low! That is one thing that has impressed me from the very start about Van's.

Ron
Rv-9A Almost ready to move to the airport!

Back