What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone near or at Lockhart (50R)?

1flyingyogi

Well Known Member
Hi guys. I was considering an RV-4 at Lockhart Airport and was wondering if there's anyone there who would mind taking a look for me and letting me know what kind of condition the plane is in.

I've been looking for a long time and have spent a lot of time/ effort/ money only to show up in person and find out that the planes were grossly mis-represented by the sellers. The last two planes I looked at did not even require my A&P to do the inspection - even on gross examination, even I could tell the build quality was horrible and I did not want the planes.

My new strategy now is to have someone in the area look for me and tell me if it's at least even worth me going there to look in person. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Brian

The guys at the Plane Talk hangar at Lockhart should be able to help you out. They are pretty well known around here and have helped build quite a few RV's. There was a small write up about Ted Jones and the Plane Talk hangar in a Sport Aviation issue a few years ago. I would hope that if you talk to one of them and get information on the plane, you shouldn't be too surprised by what you'd see when you get here. I can find contact information for someone there if you want to go that route.

The guys at the Plane Talk hangar at Lockhart should be able to help you out. They are pretty well known around here and have helped build quite a few RV's. There was a small write up about Ted Jones and the Plane Talk hangar in a Sport Aviation issue a few years ago. I would hope that if you talk to one of them and get information on the plane, you shouldn't be too surprised by what you'd see when you get here. I can find contact information for someone there if you want to go that route.

Yes, Gerald, that would be a big help if you could get me that contact info. Thanks! Is Plane Talk the local club there or something? In fact Ted Jones is the name of the guy who's selling the plane for his friend. He sounds like a really nice, straight up guy. But still, I'd like to get another pair of eyes and another unbiased opinion on the plane before flying there to see it in person.

Brian

Plane Talk

The Plane Talk Hangar is right next to Stenger Air. They will both be on your right as you enter the airport. Plane Talk is just a hangar where all the guys hang out. Look for Phil. Ted is usually there too. Phil has buit quite a few RVs and was my inspiration and mentor. Send me a PM if you want his phone numbers.
If you want an outsider opinion, maybe someone else knows an RV expert. Pretty much all the RVers hang our at Plane Talk.

Say hello to Louanne and Joe Stenger. She was my CFII. O got my PPL through Stenger. Awesome people at 50R.

Last edited:
It's a nice basic RV-4. Good workmanship.

Bobby Hughes
RV 10 270 hrs
50R

Hi Bobby, are you at the Lockhart field?

I made a deal with the seller. I just want a pair of eyes on the plane to give me an unbiased opinion before I go there. There are a few small issues with it, but we made the purchase agreement that I will buy as-is. And I don't mind these small issues (radio doesn't work, fuel gauge not working, etc.), as long as the BUIDL QUALITY IS GOOD, and no other mechanical/ structural problems.

Also, my A&P may not want to travel that far, so if you guys have a good unbiased A&P locally you can recommend, that would be awesome!

Anyone who can help, please contact me. Thanks for all you help!

Brian
714-397-2737
[email protected]

Oops, I forgot to look at your signature to see that you ARE at Lockhart. I sent you a PM. Please call/ email me if you get a chance. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back