What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone ever fly into 6B9 - Sakeateles, NY?

Saville

Well Known Member
Anyone ever fly into 6B9 - Skaneateles, NY?

Might have to fly into 6B9 this Saturday morning. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with that airport.

thanks!

Last edited:
Skaneateles

Last I knew unattended, self service fuel and porta potty. Look at skyvector.com for more info, there is a number listed for a local contact. Local transportation is iffy. Nice airport but not as nice as it used to be. It once won a most beautiful airport award. VERY nice area, very scenic, I believe there is a dinner cruise on the lake still available.
Tall trees on the east end but they are back from the pavement a ways. West end is a county road and fence. Crossing grass runway is downhill landing north, then uphill. Landing south there is a level area, then downhill. I would not recommend the grass runway for a first time visitor unless the wind is really strong. The grass runway crosses both the paved runway and the airport access road.
I worked there for two years in another lifetime.

Skaneateles

The airport manager is listed as Mike Richardson 315-263-3491. His address is on the same road as the airport. There are paved tiedowns near the two large hangars and probably west of the hangars on the grass.

Thanks for the info, guys. I have the phone numbers, and even the airport home page and airnav pages. I was just wondering if there where some hidden gotchas regarding the approach and landing ops.

6B9

The paved runway is in a low spot. All the area to the north is higher than the runway. You may not even notice it in the daytime until after you land. The east end slopes down to the lake but there are trees and I think wires about 600' east of the end of the pavement. Terrain to the west rises slightly but not really much of a factor. Pavement is listed as good condition.

6B9

If you look at the satellite view you will see a paved area about 1500' long on the west side of Benson Road and in line with runway 10/28.
My former boss owned a Douglas B26 Invader. For landing the wood fence along Benson Road would be removed and guards stationed to block road traffic for landing rollout. This was only useable for a 28 landing. Landing 10 the bump crossing the road was too severe.
I got to ride in the right seat of the Invader on a regular basis for local flights. We would use all of the grass on the east end for start of takeoff roll. On landing with reasonable conditions we could stop just before the road.
My boss was killed there in 1977 taking off in the Aero Commander 560 in near zero visibility in a snowstorm. He drifted off to the side on takeoff, caught a wingtip on the snow bank and cartwheeled, landing upside down. He bought the Commander new in 1955 and had been flying since WWII. He had outstanding stick and rudder skills but frequently seemed preoccupied with other things and as a result prone to mistakes.

I have flown in there in my 6A and Comanche 250. Asphalt runway has been repaved in the last couple of years and is much better than it was. I lived on the Lake from 1978 to 1990. Do the dinner cruise on the Judge Ben Wiles and Dougs fish fry downtown. They use to have free concerts on Friday nights in the summer on the town lawn in front of the lake and probably still do.

PS: Skaneateles is an Indian name for Testicles become Tonsils which is what happens whenever you jump into the lake ( even in August)!

The town was the greatest place to raise kids 25 years ago, not sure what it is like now as the rich people have taken over after the Clinton's vacationed there when Bill was POTUS!

John Morgan

Back