What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any issues using a GDL 82 with a GTS320A

GDL82 and GTX 327

I didn't have a 320 (had 327) in my installation but somehow I "blew up" the transmitter on my GTX327. Long story, but changed the installation of the GDL82 to the avionics bay from under the seat and now a very short RG400 to the GTX327 . I called Garmin before making this change ( talked with two different Techs )and they said "no problem". On my next transponder/IFR check it FAILED. Transmitter was now 48 watts and off by 4Mhz. Not one ATC facility ever said a word.
Why did Garmin specify the GDL82 be mounted under the seat in the bottom of the airplane? Hmmm.....

I didn't have a 320 (had 327) in my installation but somehow I "blew up" the transmitter on my GTX327. Long story, but changed the installation of the GDL82 to the avionics bay from under the seat and now a very short RG400 to the GTX327 . I called Garmin before making this change ( talked with two different Techs )and they said "no problem". On my next transponder/IFR check it FAILED. Transmitter was now 48 watts and off by 4Mhz. Not one ATC facility ever said a word.
Why did Garmin specify the GDL82 be mounted under the seat in the bottom of the airplane? Hmmm.....

That is interesting for sure. Thanks for sharing.

I’ve had a GDL82 and GTX320A combo running in my RV7 for several years, probably around 200 hours, with no problems.

I was pretty sure that was the case but hearing it from a been-there-done-that person means more than from folks who have no first hand experience.

Thanks.

Back