What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anti seize compound

Gagarin737

Well Known Member
The Matco manual states that I use graphite based anti seize compound.
Besides that you have copper, silver, nickel, aluminum and zinc based compounds.
For what and which metals do you use e.g. copper based or graphite based compounds?

Thanks, Joeri.

The manufacturer agrees too...

I've read that graphite against aluminum has been known to promote corrosion.

From a manufacturers web site...

"...As with most compounds that contain graphite, ASC 1700 Graphite Base may promote corrosion of Aluminum, Magnesium, ferrous Zinc and cadmium alloys and is not recommended for these metals..."

http://www.superior-industries.com/_1700_anti_seize_product_236.html

The spark plug into an aluminum head seems to be an exception since the graphite anti-sieze is conductive...

Last edited:
My engine is preserved, the cylenders are filled wil oil and the oil is leaking out from the little plastic plugs. I recently got some used spark plugs (thanks Scott;)) to use instead of the red plugs. I also bought this http://www.permatex.com/products/product-categories/specialized-maintenance-repair/single-use-pouches/permatex--single-use-anti-seize-lubricant-detail from the local auto parts store. Can I use this stuff on the spark plugs?

Aircraft cylinders actually have a helicoil installed when new. So it's steel threads against steel threads.

I was taught in A&P school to use a drop on engine oil on the plug.
I later worked at fairly large flight school and the chief mechanic wouldn't let us put anything on the plugs. He said it just gummed things up. They squeaked a little going in and coming out. Sounded like a turkey clucking. But the threads where always very clean and we never had any problems with his method believe it or not!

So my answer is yes you can use that stuff if you want to. Or you can use absolutely nothing.....

Mark

Bumping an old thread here -

I'm installing the CHT probes into the bottom side of each cylinder and the instructions require you to put anti-seize on the threads.

Of course, I didn't have any handy and substituted white lithium grease. The specific brand was http://www.liquidwrench.com/pressroom/releases/pressreleases_detail.asp?r=9

I didn't really think through material compatibility or longevity. Should I remove this or is it ok?

This is not an anti seize compound. Anti-seize compounds typically are made with a mechanical suspension of a metal (copper, nickel etc) that won't evaporate or burn at elevated temperatures and serves as a solid metal lubricant after many heating cycles has destroyed the carrier.

You can decide what to do from here. The most common use of white lithium is for places where it can get on clothing (door latches) and on brake parts with standard glycol based brake fluids because it won't harm seals and boots. It easily washes off with ordinary soap and water.

Thanks Bill, I figured... this morning I cleaned off the old stuff and put on 2612 champion anti seize.

Hopefully I'm not over-thinking this but the G3x manual says to use it...

Back