What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antenna wire run question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I am running my antenna wires and wondered if any need to be separated from any others or can I bundle them together where they come from the radio stack?
I have antenna wires for 2 coms, 1 nav, 1 glide slope, 1 marker beacon, and 1 transponder.
Any input is welcome.
Thanks!

I worked to keep the belly antennae & wires away from strobe light wires.
Also, try not to bend the coax into too tight a radius, the center conductor shouldn't get too close to the shield braid.

Charles,

THEORETICALLY, the RG-400 should perform it's function of shielding itself from interference and you should be able to run it next to anything.

IDEALLY, we do try to keep our antenna leads separate from power and strobe wires.

IN PRACTICALITY, I ran my RG-400's along side my power wires coming down from my radio stack and into the center tunnel.

I will let you know how that works out this summer, but if it isn't good, and you do the same... we will both go down in flames together!

Does that help?

;) CJ

Charles,

THEORETICALLY, the RG-400 should perform it's function of shielding itself from interference and you should be able to run it next to anything.

IDEALLY, we do try to keep our antenna leads separate from power and strobe wires.

IN PRACTICALITY, I ran my RG-400's along side my power wires coming down from my radio stack and into the center tunnel.

I will let you know how that works out this summer, but if it isn't good, and you do the same... we will both go down in flames together!

Does that help?

;) CJ

I was good until that part about going down in flames.

You are most likely fine with coax near 14 VDC. High voltage pulses, like strobe lights or ignition can be problematic. Try to cross at 90 degrees if they must... otherwise keep apart when you can.
Also pay attention to wiring instructions regarding whether to float the coax outer shield or ground it.

Also pay attention to wiring instructions regarding whether to float the coax outer shield or ground it.

Coaxial cable between receivers or transmitters and an antenna is being used as a transmission line. The shield is an important part, and must be grounded at both ends.
Different story for audio lines.

I'd keep transmit cables away from others. I don't know about the new ELTs but the remote on my old ELT specifically said keep the wiring away from COMM coax as it had been known to trigger the ELT.

I had the same question. I have strobes away from everything as much as possible, at least in the fuse. I will run the two comms, and the ads-b wires together from the top of the firewall to where they separate at the spar and run their separate ways (literally). It sounds like this is functional.

My GPS will curl up under forward fuse to meet minimum length, then through a pass though (not done yet) hrough with power wires (R/S), and to the antenna farm shelf under the cowl.

I can not defend these routings, just what is being done, so sound off if something sounds like it will cause trouble. Temps will be measured via thermocouple for GPS antenna environment during phase I. Operational and post flight hot soak.

Thanks all.

Back