What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another VS Mishap - Oops rivet for an AN470AD4?

ERushing

Well Known Member
Was cleaning up a few things before I closed up the skins on the VS and completely cleated one of the rivets on the VS Top Rudder Hinge Bracket. It was a total struggle to try to drill this rivet out. In doing so, I must have gotten a bit off center because now the hole is a bit oblong. Any suggestions? Is there an oops rivet for an AN470AD4?

8507720E-C2F1-42C4-B60A-95232C41929D_zpsziyvv7o5.jpg

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Perhaps I should take up bowling? Very frustrated right now.

Note that i do know that you're not supposed to drill all the way through. I had to try to go in from the back side with was a little bit cleaner but also cleated. The hole is oblong through the hinge, the spar, and the doubler.

NAS rivet

NAS 1241AD drill 27 for a number 4 rivet, and 16 for a number 5 rivet.
NAS 1242 is flush

Check with Vans, but I think another -4 rivet would simply expand to fill the oblong.

If your skin is partially attached, you might try putting the rivet in "backwards" if that would help lining up and handling the rivet gun and bucking bar.

Yup. Just another AD4 rivet will work. You can even pre-squeeze it a little bit to fatten it up...

Vans

Check with Vans, but I think another -4 rivet would simply expand to fill the oblong.

If your skin is partially attached, you might try putting the rivet in "backwards" if that would help lining up and handling the rivet gun and bucking bar.

I agree. You're probably ok but ask Vans just to be sure. That way you have something to document for your builder log.
Drilling #4s is tricky. I usually drill #40 first all the way through. It helps weaken the pressure against the sides of the hole. Then drill #30 only deep enough to go through the head or tail. Then snap off the head or tail and use a punch with a backing to drive it out. 1/4 sockets work great to back up the part.

Back