What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another New RV14a order GULP

Groundhuck

I'm New Here
Hello all,

New here at VAF
And after a lot of soul searching, analysis paralysis & mainly permission from my wife :) I took the plunge....
I took the debit card out today 8/30/2023 & placed my order for the Tail & Fuselage Kits.
GULP......

Thanks to everyone who contributes to VAF. There's a lot of smart people here & I've learned so much already.

FYI: On kit lead-time here's a direct email from Anne @ VANS:

Our lead times have just moved out to the next production run which should be done estimate MAY/JUNE 2024
This is for Empenage Wing and Fuselage kits Finish kits are about the same.
Those dates may get better as time goes on depending on production goals- order rates etc

Congratulations! That is so exciting!. I ordered my kit for the 14A late last summer and have rec'd all but my engine and finishing kit. I had ordered everything at the same time. I felt that would allow for less wait time. I have yet to actually start my build which in light of the laser cut part issues has turned out to be fantastic as no laser cut parts are deep within the plane already. I'll just replace these parts once they become available ( I expect that to be soon). I held off because I am getting ready to take my checkride and wanted to concentrate on my studies and flying (I fly a lot!) Checkride was scheduled for Sept 6th but they rescheduled me for the 25th now. Take care.

I'm just dumbfounded at the lead times for everything these days. Thunderbolt engines are 30-36 months?! It's out of control!

Also, congrats on starting the journey! Use this time to get your workshop set up, tools purchased, etc. Build at least two workbenches (the EAA plans are decent), get multiple rivet sets for all different types of riveting scenarios. I can't express how much better it makes the building experience by having the right tools for the job!

If you don’t have much building experience I would strongly suggest that you buy several of the practice kits. I did 3 or 4 different ones. I learned something with every one that would have caused an issue with my airplane.
Enjoy the process.

Congratulations

Congratulations on jumping in.

I’m sure you are aware but a couple of great resources for the 14a build….

1) Andrew Kilroy’s YouTube channel - he literally build the whole thing on film.
2) HAL pilot’s Rv-14 wiki ….. a set of instructions with hotlinks to VAF threads related to the instructions in all the key places.

What serial number were you assigned for the 14a? Curious what Vans is up to now….

Welcome to the fun.

-Dan

Back